performance idea help (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
Hi all,
i'm a new 2007 HSC music student (music 1) anyway i'm just trying to work out what i want to do for my performances. in the past i'm bludged my way through these tasks at left them last minute. (I play trumpet btw) anyway i need some help...

1) i would like to do an arrangement of "Georigia on my mind" with double bass, piano, drums and solo trumpet. i was wondering hows the best way of arranging something like this. Should i just find a jazz band score of it and take out the parts i need, and add it missing bits etc etc. or should i just find the solo melody line and write an accompaniment?
(I also want to use the same combo to do "night in tunisia.")

2) i also want to do an arrangement of "nature boy" with a trumpet and kit. a latin-ised version. would this work? maybe add piano... Same thing, should i just find a melody line and write an accompaniment?

and finally does anyone know where i can find really basic scores of pieces. I have a few bands round the place i can sort through their music...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You might be able to find common pieces such as those in Allan's Music. They're on Pitt St and have a whole floor dedicated to such a thing. Just look it up.

Also, when it comes to arranging, just be careful. I mean, if you're good at arranging and its easy, by all means go for it. But if not, you don't want a mediocre arrangement to affect your performance results. Just be wary about that.

Latinising sounds fine. I'll give you a tip. When you've made your "composition-like" decisions and have you song down pat, record it so you can hear it from an outside perspective. You might be speeding up or slowing down in areas that you never realised. Also, you will get an overall sense of your arrangment etc, which is much different to listening while you're in the band.

Hope that helps.

jazzmuzik

HSC
Hey, thanks for your help. I've actually managed to track down an Ed Wilson mix and match version of Georgia on my mind. So that may be a safe option as far as the arrangement goes. I can play around in the solo section. I may still check out allans music for the others. (although i live in the country so i'll have to wait til i head to sydney)The recording is also a good idea thanks!
jazz

ur_inner_child said:
You might be able to find common pieces such as those in Allan's Music. They're on Pitt St and have a whole floor dedicated to such a thing. Just look it up.

Also, when it comes to arranging, just be careful. I mean, if you're good at arranging and its easy, by all means go for it. But if not, you don't want a mediocre arrangement to affect your performance results. Just be wary about that.

Latinising sounds fine. I'll give you a tip. When you've made your "composition-like" decisions and have you song down pat, record it so you can hear it from an outside perspective. You might be speeding up or slowing down in areas that you never realised. Also, you will get an overall sense of your arrangment etc, which is much different to listening while you're in the band.

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)