Performance Tips (1 Viewer)

_phillip

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 and im a singer and guitarist. I'm hoping to continue music until year 12. What are some performing and practise tips that you would recommend. I've never taken any lessons on any of these instruments, would i need one? I also need some advice on singing - on a male's perspective. ><

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Depends on whether you are doing Music 1 or 2.

Music 2 expects a higher standard. You are expected to perform classical pieces, rather than contemporary. I'll just guess that you're doing Music 1, as most guitarists prefer.

My main performance tip would be don't over-rehearse. I always feel (and i'm a male soul singer) that when i over-rehearse a song, it loses all its feeling. Your licks should be impulsive, and yeah, you should have the notes down pat, but if you know something inside out and outside in, it loses the emotion of someone who is in the moment of the song.

I would say that eye contact, and acknowledging the presence of a marker is great too. And look confident, don't let them know that you're nervous.

You need to get tuition for guitar and voice. I can't push this enough on you, but it will help so SO much. Having someone to say 'No, this is bad. But do this, and it will be better' is so much help. Also, if you get a good, qualified tutor, they will have taught HSC students before and know what to expect. I wouldn't a tutor neccesarily constitutes good marks, but they are a great help.

Good luck!

__moonriver

HSC
I would firstly advise you to get lessons!
Also, I know this is difficult, but practically you will have a better outcome if you pick either one or the other (singing or guitar) to present for your HSC. If you play the guitar just to accompany yourself, consider getting accompaniment instead, as you will most likely sing better.
This is just what I've been told though, and I think it most likely applies more for Music 2. If you're doing Music 1, maybe the guitar/singing combination works better. Music 1 and 2 have the same performance criteria, but they are more inclined towards classical/contemporary avant-garde pieces in Music 2.

krystally.

HSC
No one really cares what you sound like as long as you're not tone deaf and hit the right notes at the right time, in the right pitch. :)

mike2010

HSC
The one and only tip I can give to any performer of any instrument is that no matter what you piece you play, the examiners always look for your own representation of the style of music, something new. You need to try and connect with the examiners as best you can. Just go in there and be as confident as you can, know your general knowledge of the pieces in case they ask. Make sure you know your music off by heart so you don't need a stand (so that you can think more about your presentation), but also don't over rehearse. good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)