Period of Satellietes (1 Viewer)

mtsmahia

HSC
Guys... im having trouble with one of the Q's in the do-point book.

Geostationary satellites orbit with a radius of 42260km. Use this information to find the period of a satellite which orbits with a radius of 15000km..

any help is appreciated :D

Slowness

HSC
R3
__
T2

=

R3
__
T2

Since its a ratio, you can use the values as they are without turning them into proper things.

422603/242 = 150003/t2

Do some Math

T = 5.08 Hours (that should be Correct)

Enjoy

Last edited:

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
remember to change the km's into m SI units, and the period is like roughly once a month.

Slowness

HSC
remember to change the km's into m SI units, and the period is like roughly once a month.

Since we are using a ratio, it really doesn't matter about Standard units (as i mentioned in my previous post).

If we were going to mess with the rest of the equation or use it for something else, then Standard Units will be a matter.

The initial period is 24 Hours. (Geostationary = 24 hours. IT's geographically stationary and the world rotates once every 24 hours).

If you want, you can change the period to seconds and the distance to metres and do all your conversion, you'll end up just getting the same answer but in Metres.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
Since we are using a ratio, it really doesn't matter about Standard units (as i mentioned in my previous post).

If we were going to mess with the rest of the equation or use it for something else, then Standard Units will be a matter.

The initial period is 24 Hours. (Geostationary = 24 hours. IT's geographically stationary and the world rotates once every 24 hours).

If you want, you can change the period to seconds and the distance to metres and do all your conversion, you'll end up just getting the same answer but in Metres.
yeah i guess so, but you can be marked down for not using SI units. depending on how anal ur teacher is

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)