• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Permutations (2 Viewers)

Just.Snaz

HSC
12.9 Maths in Focus
15. a) Nine beads are arranged randomly in a line. How many arrangements are possible?
b) If the beads are placed in a circle, how many ways can this be done?
c) The beads are arranged on a bracelet. How many different ways are possible?

answers: a) 362 880 b) 40 320 c) 20 160

I get the first two parts, but the last part.. well its 8!/2 but why? Isn't a bracelet the same as a circle?

Thanks guys :)

AppleNader

HSC
Just.Snaz said:
12.9 Maths in Focus
15. a) Nine beads are arranged randomly in a line. How many arrangements are possible?
b) If the beads are placed in a circle, how many ways can this be done?
c) The beads are arranged on a bracelet. How many different ways are possible?

answers: a) 362 880 b) 40 320 c) 20 160

I get the first two parts, but the last part.. well its 8!/2 but why? Isn't a bracelet the same as a circle?

I think this might help

How many different color patterns are possible for the bracelet, where patterns are considered the same if turning one will produce the other, as shown here?

That's probably why you have to divide by 2!, to avoid double counting the same pattern.

3unitz

HSC
N/A
Just.Snaz said:

because you can flip it round, and its still the same bracelet

Just.Snaz

HSC
AppleNader said:
Just.Snaz, don't thank us or anything. :(
lol I did. I thanked you in advance, but I'm actually still tryna figure it out..

so what you guys are saying is, without dividing by two, I've got all the arrangments repeated twice? Why?

THANKYOU SO MUCH I LOVE YOU ALL :p

AppleNader

HSC
Just.Snaz said:
lol I did. I thanked you in advance, but I'm actually still tryna figure it out..

so what you guys are saying is, without dividing by two, I've got all the arrangments repeated twice? Why?

Well like 3unitz said, you can flip a bracelet around but with the circle you're arranging it on a flat surface where you can't flip it over.

So you to avoid counting the same pattern when the braclet is flipped over you have to divide by two. Have a look at my diagram.

:)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Just.Snaz said:

Circle is a permutation where you have a different combination. If you have a necklace where you have same colours, you will repeat the combination over again. That's why we divide it by two.

EDIT: Think of flipping as the above said.

Just.Snaz

HSC
ohhhhhhhhhhhh..... I get it :D

cause like if you have 4 beads for eg, you can have Blue, Green, Red, Yellow.. and Yellow, Red, Green, Blue.. and when you flip em around, they're both the same :D

Thank you :)

Edit: had colours wrong way round

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)