Personal research on IQ tests (proper and otherwise)? (1 Viewer)

What's you alleged IQ??? (plz, poll seriously I'm conducting research)

• <80

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 80-90

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 91-100

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • 101-110

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • 111-120

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • 121-130

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • 131-140

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • 141-150

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • 151-160

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • >160

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters

AlexZ

Ok here goes.

On the national IQ test I was told I had an IQ of 143.
Spark = 161
Psychiatrist (age 15) = maths - top .5%
english - top 2% (I was illiterate at age 8, and doing year 8 maths at age 9)
reasoning or some logic thingo - top .5%

He wouldn't give me a number :( (go figure). My ego would have liked it but alas.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
There's a shift toward high numbers...:) possibly because of certain reasons...
There, study so far confirms online IQ test to be an attempt in lifting egos and clicks on banner ads in-site, the general trend.

However, professional IQ tests have been suggested to apply only very restricted fields, being curtails for a specific purpose and not generakl intelligence....

If oyu don't know already this is a *bump* :p

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
yep:

other stuff like emotional "intelligence", creativity etc ought to count for something... actually devising a scale to measure creativity is completely contrary to the very idea of creativity... quite cold-hearted... like making an instrument to measure spring with.

my iq has varied from about 115 to 185, but i don't trust it as far as i can throw it.

enzi`

That national IQ test was the most recent one i did, so that's what I put in the poll - 134
but yeah, like ppl say the other online ones I've done have ranged from 130 - 149... Never done a proper one.

timmii

sporadic attendee
IQ tests are meaningless (sorry guys with impressive stats).

How do you define intelligence? Is it someone who with a photographic memory who can regurgitate a multitude of information? Is it someone who is aware of world events and can hold a great conversation on politics? Is it someone with great mathematical ability or literacy?

IQ tests are culturally skewed. My mum used to be a social worker, and she told me about an IQ test in south africa where 99% of the black kids in townships got a particular question wrong. It was about a tree swaying in the wind....they don't see many trees, they couldn't conceptualise, and got it wrong. Does that make them any less intelligent???

I think it is far more important to be a good person, relate with others and have an understanding of ur environment. Its not necessarily the smartest who survive - but the ones who can adapt the best :) I.e to get a good UAI it may not take intelligence, but conformity.

So in conclusion.....i don't think IQ tests are reliable.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Funny... :p I'm getting overwhelming support of IQ tests being unreliable... :p
I really wonder why...

See Laz's link to an article... it's an interesting read if you haven't already done so.

I also had a second part on how "IQ" changes over time... it's related, hypothetically, to how much you learnt (i.e. which schooling level you're equivalent to) related to your age...
I was going to check out how the trend was for other people =P, and see IF 12 was actually the best age, or is it just a fab sort of thing to test your kids at 12 ( in the US)... meaningless as it is, it's still good laugh.

timmii

sporadic attendee
IQ test are fun (well i suppose they are if you do well, probably less so if you don't), but that doesn't necessarily mean they are reliable. You shouldn't trust the distorting mirrors at theme parks either.

They do have their uses however limited they may be. If two people of similar cultural background and education take the same test, and there are considerable discrepancies, then it may be an indication. But I would be wary, there are so many biases within them that can distort results. The content, the context, even the way it is written, because insidious semantic bias can alter the way different people interpret the question.

But until something better is developed i suppose its the only measure available to those who want to test for and quantify the elusive concept of intelligence. :)

1 more

fructis
HSC
that strikes me as being a somewhat intelligent response "timmii" :) you MUST be smart

Last edited:

utopian731

Eudaimonian
I rmemeber i did the spark one and got 166

now considering >160 is genius, the test is obvioulsy inaccurate! lolz

the spark also told me that im female.....so iguess the test isnt very reliable

at least i dont think im female?

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yeah, and what of the person whose <80 IQ would not have allowed them the theoretical intelligence to comprehend the rationale behind this thread?

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by BlackJack
You're sounding more like an 'intelligent' guy I know whose name is Tim... :p

ed: it's not the same tim though, I know...
Thanks, I'll take the "intelligence" thing as a compliment (although I unfortunately have already argued it does not necessarily exist)....but I'm female.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by 1 more
that strikes me as being a somewhat intelligent response "timmii" :) you MUST be smart
Hmmmm "1 more" not so bad yourself!!! (i've always said ur perceptive)

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Yeah, I think you gave a feminine feel in your posts elsewhere, that's where the ed comes from.

The guy who got <80 IQ is actually quite intelligent, look through the thread, he's kind enough to have posted.

Mathematician

About Iq Tests.

According to my knowledge There are 7 intelligences that we each encounter , Iq tests only test 2 or 3.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Re: About Iq Tests.

Originally posted by Mathematician
According to my knowledge There are 7 intelligences that we each encounter , Iq tests only test 2 or 3.
What are the 7?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)