Personhood starts at conception (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I think plenty of people disagree that life begins at conception

Personhood just appears to be a more legislatively convenient term for life
A zygote/blastocyst/embryo is certainly life, though definitely not a self-sustaining one. I think that "personhood" is entirely distinct from "life", at least in this context.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What, you think they passed a law saying that a self-sustaining life exists at conception?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
So the consumerfoetus has no knowledge of his/her life and therefore does not demand it.

yay.

/thread
Yes, and on the same token, the consumerfoetus has no knolwedge of death so cannot reject it. It's perfect.
However, the consumerbaby also has no logical knowledge of life beyond it's sensory responses and the satisfaction of his biolgical desires, even after it's birth. Does that mean that it's life is not worthy too?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I think plenty of people disagree that life begins at conception

Personhood just appears to be a more legislatively convenient term for life
Ringworms are life too. They rely on a host to provide them with nutrients and such. [/devilsadvocatestrawman]

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sure, personhood is a more convenient legal term

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
A conceived child is when the sperm enters and fertilises the egg. Now do the quick math on that sentence and add up the number of cells. Here I'll do it for you:
1 + 1 = 2 > 1
Therefore a zygote (a just conceived fetus in early stages) is still multicellular.

You are lose!
Pleez try agains.
Nar you lose actually, when the sperm meets the egg they fuse, and become a single entity ie become one cell.

"A zygote (from Greek ζυγωτός zugōtos "joined" or "yoked", from ζυγοῦν zugoun "to join" or "to yoke")[1] is a cell that is the result of fertilization. That is, two haploid cells—usually an ovum from a female and a sperm cell from a male—merge into a single diploid cell called the zygote (or zygocyte). A zygote is the first cell of a new unique organism that is comprised of the DNA from the mother, and father"

Check your facts first

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Nar you lose actually, when the sperm meets the egg they fuse, and become a single entity ie become one cell.

"A zygote (from Greek ζυγωτός zugōtos "joined" or "yoked", from ζυγοῦν zugoun "to join" or "to yoke")[1] is a cell that is the result of fertilization. That is, two haploid cells—usually an ovum from a female and a sperm cell from a male—merge into a single diploid cell called the zygote (or zygocyte). A zygote is the first cell of a new unique organism that is comprised of the DNA from the mother, and father"

Check your facts first
Bah. I will never admit defeat! Your fancy facts will never beat my 1st grade arithmetic! Sucker!

madsam

God among men
HSC
As i asked before, what punishment could they possibly deal to individuals who go and have illegal abortions?

What punishment would YOU impose if you're Pro-Life?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
As i asked before, what punishment could they possibly deal to individuals who go and have illegal abortions?

Legal proceedings against both the mother and doctor who operated could find them guilty of masnlaughter or even murder.
Also, several pro-choice doctors have been murdered by over-zealous mobs of Evangelicals in the Deep South since Roe vs Wade came into being. Same could happen again.
Any company which deals in abortions could be fined massive amounts and run into the ground. Ditto for the mothers.
There is a plethora of ways to punish a person involved in abortion. Just get creative. Try looking in the Bible and the Q'uran for some particularly imaginative methods of punishment.

banco55

HSC

If any doctor who performed an abortion would be permanently struck off the register you wouldn't see many who were willing to do "underground" abortions. When abortion was for the most part illegal in Australia the number of abortions was much lower and the law wasn't vigorously enforced. In fact the police protected some of the illegal abortionists in return for bribes. Experience seems to show if you make abortion illegal (for the most part) a lot fewer women will get abortions.

HSC
Scarcity.
Everyone will eventually end up owning their very own copy of death. But to own this, they have to trade in their copy of life. Of course, this is a mandatory system with no refunds given (except one notable case nearly 2,000 years ago), so the value of life is measured by the fact that ownership of it is temporary, and that most people fight tooth and claw to keep their copy as long as possible.
It's just simple supply and demand forces, really.
I miss moley moll :(

Joel8945

HSC
omfg another abortion thing! Look at it this way, personhood starts when someone looks like a person, i.e. look at these:

human embryo 1 month

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/on-line/lifecycle/images/1-2-3-1-5-0-0-0-0-0-0.jpg

dog embryo 1 month

http://premiumblend.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dog_embryo_one.jpg

dolphin embryo 1 month

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/A/animals_in_the_womb/images/gallery/gallery_2.jpg

ok I personally wouldn't allow an abortion to occur after the first trimester, but, really to state that personhood starts at conception it makes me annoyed.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
omfg another abortion thing! Look at it this way, personhood starts when someone looks like a person, i.e. look at these:

human embryo 1 month

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/on-line/lifecycle/images/1-2-3-1-5-0-0-0-0-0-0.jpg

dog embryo 1 month

http://premiumblend.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dog_embryo_one.jpg

dolphin embryo 1 month

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/A/animals_in_the_womb/images/gallery/gallery_2.jpg

ok I personally wouldn't allow an abortion to occur after the first trimester, but, really to state that personhood starts at conception it makes me annoyed.
What? That's ridiculous.

Isn't personhood when you're a functional human being and not before. A foetus isn't a functional human, it's a parasite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)