Persperctives on Conflict (1 Viewer)

dr.nitin

HSC
business HELP

can someone please help me in business.. if someone could please explain me from employment relation the difference between Unitary, plurist and radical..! and if they know what are tax havens? thankss!

lyk-wateva

HSC
Re: business HELP

unitary is when employee and employers work together and have same goal.

pluralist is when employees and employers have different aim but the conflict is postive.

radical is when both work against each other, developed by karl marx.

and tax havens are countries with no or low tax rates.

hoped tat helped.

hairspray

HSC

Unitary view
- Employees and employers work as a team to achieve common goals
- Relationship developed by management is geared towards efficiency and success
- Unions are not needed
- Conflict is rare and a supportive leadership style is used to maintain happy and satisfied workers
- Little emphasis on power. Management is seen as having authority and control to determine common goals.

Pluralist view
- Believes conflict between workers and employers is inevitable considering the different aims
- Crucial element is how management resolves the conflict
- Power is crucial as it is the means by which conflicts are resolved
- Bargaining and negotiating are seen as methods of restoring equality and power within the business
- Use arbitration or mediator to resolve conflicts

Radical view
- Believes that there are such fundamental differences between employer and employee that conflict will always occur
- They are far too opposed to work together
- Power is a very prominent feature. It’s unequally distributed and is seen as ways that managers can manipulate and overpower workers.
- Competing groups are trying to achieve incompatible goals

TAX HAVENS
o These are economies that impose little or no corporate income tax
o For a relatively small fee a business can set up a wholly owned subsidiary
o By manipulating payments such as dividends, interests, royalties n capital gains between its various subsidiaries, the business diverts income from subsidiaries in high-tax countries to the subsidiary operating in a tax haven
o By recording profits in havens the business escapes tax requirements of other countries

An employer believes that conflict in the workplace is inevitable because employees and employers have different interests.
What is this employer's perspective on conflict?
a)radical
b)unitary
c)pluralist
d)unionism

what would be your answer? Please discuss and explain.

xDell

HSC

its radical. I had exactly the same q in my trials. i circled c. pluralist tho =[

lyk-wateva

HSC

its radical coz of the keyword 'inevitable'

acevipa

HSC
Could someone please explain the difference between unitary, pluralist, and radical perspectives on conflict. I've read it in the text book, but am not 100% sure on what they mean.

H4wk1n4t0r

HSC
Unitary - Employers and employees work 'hand in hand' in order to achieve common goals. I.e. a win/win situation. Any disagreements here are viewed as temporary.

Pluralist - Recognises that employers and employees have differing interests and that conflict is a legimitate outlet. This basically states that each side pushes for the 'larger slice of the cake' - employers want higher productivity, and employee want better wages.

Radical/Marxist - recognises that conflict is inevitable, and reflects the traiditonal view of a conflict-based relationship. I.e. 'us versus them' nature of employers and employees. It also sees the government not acting in the public interest to protect the weak, but in the national interest in order to foster economic stability and competitiveness.

BUSINESSKING

HSC
This gentleman is correct. Unfortunately these types of questions tend to come up in the Multiple Choice section, and the difference between pluralist/radical stances can be highly ambiguous unless the question is phrased very carefully - which it is sometimes not.

dontworry

HSC
Ahhh thank youu for that i was sturggling with it aswell!!!
goodluck tomorrow guyss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)