Peter Brooks Lear (1 Viewer)

shadydog

I am using Peter Brook's 1971 film adaption of King Lear and was wondering if anyone can help with any useful additional scenes or techniques used in the play which can be applied to the feminist reading.
Also I noted that to soothe Gloucester's eyes after the blinding the servant cracked an egg over them. Is there any significance to this in that it may be related to the "two crowns of the egg" which the fool taunts Lear with?
Another pruduction I am studying is the Sydney Theatre Company production of 2001. Does anyone have any notes on this?
Finally (I know I'm asking a lot), does anyone know of a production which is well suited to have a Christian interpretation applied. I know the Christian interpretation well, but have been unable to find a suitable production.
Cheers.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I don't know much about the Christian interpretation, but if it's to do with 'redemption', the Michael Elliot (Grenada) production works very well. The 'redemption' of Lear is related largely through costuming, going from robes and other royal trappings to being dressed in white, clean-shaven, symbols of purity and good. Additionally, Lear dies in the centre of the frame, surrounded by other characters (Whilst in Cordelia's embrace, I believe), again indicative of his transformation.

Not sure about the Peter Brook question, but possibly you could relate the means in which Lear's knights are depicted, acting in a raucous, boorish manner, therefore substansiating the daughter's criticisms.. Generally, 'good' and 'evil' is more ambigious in this production.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
you can always make up a production for the Christian interpretation... either just make up a director or say "in a fellow students production, the christian interpretation was explored through...." coz that's what i'm doing (we had to do an assesment based on a speech by each student on their individual production)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)