• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

PETER GARRET (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
thank you asquithian

i really really respect peter garrett, i've looked up to him my whole life and although i'm obviously not sure of how competent he will be as a politican, from my knowledge of him as a person, activist and leader i do believe he'll do a good job. of course, only time will tell.

haha i love the fucking irony in howard appreciating beds are burning. how funny would it have been if he'd been like "...u.s. forces" :p

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
hahahaha fuck off :p

he's a very nice guy too, i met him once in a cafe near newtown station and was starstruck because he was like my idol!

KarmaKitten

HSC
I doubt he could be any worse than Latham.

Plus he is a cool dances. He could dance in parliament. Increase rating for the ABC

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
i reckon he'll do something, i mean thats what he used his midnight oil fame for. like do you remember their performance at the 2000 olympics? now he has the chance to make a real difference

meisme

Originally posted by santaslayer
Garret is a joke. Yes. But he still is quite respectable. :)
what the hell do you mean by that?!

but any way, i dont think garret's a bad guy, as a musician that is.
labor is pulling some crappy strings to get the green & youth votes, its a fucking stunt!!!

what political credibility does garret hold? sure hes been involved in a lot of campagning for the Australian Conservationists, and hes been prettyy out spoken about the environmental issues, but nowadays he aint assling about the kyoto protocol etc. hes done a complete ideological backflip (especially about the pine gap stuff) which for me has destroyed any cred he had in the first plce

i crap on the whole 'instant politician' idea (add upcoming election, throw in a famous celebrity and stir!!)

i thought political points were earned not plattered

skittlebrau

Originally posted by Blackalicious
LOL all he will do is populate the left wing faction in Labor and create even more animosity in the party.
Couldn't agree more. He's too Green.

Generator

HSC
N/A
The ACF tends to be pragmatic in its approach to environmental issues, so I can see no real reason to think that Garret has sold out...

HSC
First of all. in terms of political credibility:

"From 1989 to 1993 Peter Garrett served as president of Australia's peak environment organisation the Australian Conservation Foundation. Significant results for many threatened areas of the Australian environment including Coronation Hill in Kakadu, Shoalwater Bay in Queensland, the Queensland Wet Tropics rainforest and Jervis Bay in New South Wales were achieved during this time."

"In 1993 he joined the International Board of Greenpeace..."

"In 1998 he again accepted the presidency of the Australian Conservation Foundation, a role which has seen ACF grow strongly, develop partnerships with Non Government Organisations, progressive business groups, and expand its campaigning into marine conservation and northern Australia.

He received the Australian Humanitarian Foundation Award in the Environment category in 2000 and in 2003 the Order of Australia (Member General Division), for his contribution to environment and the music industry."

"Peter Garrett serves as adviser and patron to various cultural and community organisations including Jubilee Debt Relief and was a founding member of the Surfrider Foundation."

(For those unaware, the Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit organisation working to preserve oceans, waves & beaches globally).

While these positions may not all specifically be political in nature, I think it at least provides him with a significant background in caring for both our country, and our world. Personally I think it's refreshing to see someone whom it's safe to assume is not entering politics for personal gain.

I don't see where the basis for this criticism arises? Perhaps you'd prefer his position filled by some lazy, out of touch politician motivated by nothing but greed and a nice retirement package.

In terms of his background in entertainment, I don't see why that has to be a bad thing either. A significant portion of his work in this field was spent dealing with the same issues, so it's not really as huge a transition as it initially sounds. With any luck his profile will attract support to these causes and encourage more people to give thought to these sorts of issues (Other political parties included).

Funnily enough, more information relating to Peter Garrett's previous activity is available at http://www.petergarrett.com.au/ , perhaps it'd be an idea to read (at least) :)

Hope that's not too much of a rant, I'm just a bit shocked that not everyone thinks that it's a champion idea :)

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Generator
The ACF tends to be pragmatic in its approach to environmental issues, so I can see no real reason to think that Garret has sold out...
AS A LUMBERJACK I AM IN AGREEANCE

VARMINT GREENS :mad1:

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
It's all a publicity stunt, since his views and labours views on certain issues differ greatly, i used to respect him, but now he is just another dickhead 'big party politician'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)