Peter Skrzynecki - Migrant Chronicle (1 Viewer)

Narcu

HSC
Alright, I've pretty much slept my way through year 12 as of so far. I'm cramming like crazy for the HSC itself. Been pulling maybe three to eight hours a day of study.. I'd like some outside (outside of my head) opinions and ideas..

So with Crossing The Red Sea. All I've got so far is..

The title and the poem itself have biblical references [Crossing the Red Sea and the journeying to the 'Promise Land']. It also refers to the bloodshed they're escaping.

Suggestions that the boat is small or over filled "Stretched out on blankets and pillows // Against cabins and rails." (Gives the imagery that they are strewn about?) and the conditions under which they were travelling were poor. The migrants were ill "Of milk-white flesh" and most likely forced into poverty "Shirtless, in shorts, barefooted" and fleeing by the conflict in their homeland.

Regret or loss is shown.. "Or to watch a sunset // They would never see again"

"Themselves a landscape" would imply that each of the migrants were a story of the effects of the conflict - each having different experiences.

"Voices left their caves // And silence fell from its shackles" - The migrants begin to talk, the imagery of freedom from shackles of oppression. This freedom is one of many they have gained by taking this journey.

"To look for shorelines - // Peaks of mountains and green rivers // That shared their secrets // With storms and exiles." - A last sight of a homeland that they will likely never see again.

-- ..And this is all I've done concerning Skrzynecki and English so far. Have I gotten anything completely wrong? Is there anything I've really missed so far?

..I'm very much lost.

Last edited:
HSC
umm..you know we have to use two of his poems, a text from the stimuls booklet, and a related material..

..and you only got 1 out of those 4

you got a sort of summary, what about all the techniques used?

Narcu

HSC
Well.. The thing is.. I've already got two related materials.. (Got told to prepare two in case.) The stimulus booklet is gonna be done as a group with some friends on monday..

And I'm still deciding between Feliks and Hostel for my second poem..

..I guess I've got a lot of work to do, eh?

(Done some more, editing in.)

HSC
umm.. im doing both crossing the red sea and migrant hostel and i have my draft copy of the essay i used in my trials, you want it? it has alot of techniques and the summary for each text but you just got to relate everything to physical journeys coz i didnt re-type it

jojo1234

HSC
lol thats be great id lvoe ur eassy im in the same predicaments hahaha SCREWD

jaminson533

HSC
I have a small essay planned for on of the poems called Feliks Skrzynecki. hopefully i'll have more tomorrow.

Feliks Skrzynecki is a poem in Peter Skrzynecki’s “Migrant Chronicle”. It is a poem dedicated to his father encompassing his changing feelings towards his father. During his youth, Skrzynecki grows steadily away from his father, but as an adult he changes his perspective, showing admiration for his father’s stoicism and overall contentment in life. Skrzynecki uses the metaphor of Hadrian’s Wall to show his gradual estrangement from his father and his Polish roots. He pegged his tent “further and further south of Hadrian’s wall”. The metaphor shows Skrzynecki’s difficulty in identifying with his past and the eventual “wall” that builds up between him and his father.

Further it is apparent in the tone of the poem that the concept of change, and how one’s perspective can change over time is significant. The entire poem, is concerned with recollecting and remembering Feliks’ past life. As the composer matures, he begins to understand the differences between his father and himself. “Growing older, I... Remember words... I inherited unknowingly”. He regrets not having appreciated the Polish language when he was younger, and now, in hindsight, he realises that his perspective has been altered. He reflects that Feliks is “Happy as I have never been”.

By viewing his father through a different perspective, the composer has managed to understand his father’s mentality, and comprehend his simple and stoic outlook on life.
PS: $hiftyIceQueen could u plz put the document into this post. I would be very grateful. i'm desperate for some more techniques as i'm really bad at identifying them.

Hoxdog

HSC
use 3 poems just incase u want to answer the question from a diffrent angle 2 poems will only limit the ways u can reply

HSC
i'll post it here... but just to let you all know that you need to summarise it big time and you need to add your own related material coz i dont got mine typed out :)

HSC
All types of journeys expand ones understanding of themselves, of the individual and of the world. Our identities are constructed by and through the journeys we undertake. Physical journeys involve different types of obstacles and movement to new places. The traveller extends themselves physically, intellectually and emotionally. It isn’t just about the journey from A to B, but about what occurs on this journey.

Physical journeys is about growth, change, learning, overcoming obstacles and about an individual developing and finding his place in the world, and this can be clearly seen in the texts I have chosen to analyse. They are: the two poems from the set text, immigrant Chronicle by Peter Skrzynecki, “Crossing the Red Sea” and “Immigrants at Central Station” and “the Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost, from the stimulus booklet. In a variety of ways composers represent journeys as being multifaceted in nature. There are many aspects of journeys and the composers represent them in many different ways. They can all change the person in different ways, the person can experience them in different ways, there are different types of journeys and the problems, causes and solutions can be different of similar according to how the persona decides to represent them.

Physical journeys has many different facets. There are many arguments which support the idea that in a variety of ways composers represent journeys as being multifaceted in nature. Firstly, they can be positive or negative. Secondly, physical journeys can help you discover the potential for human endurance. Also there are many obstacles in life, there are also many paths of which we must take only one. Finally physical journeys results in the person learning about themselves and the world. Through “Crossing the Red Sea”, “Immigrants at Central Station” and “the Road Not Taken” physical journeys are represented in various ways.

Composers represent journeys as being multifaceted in nature. The journey can be positive or negative. We see this through the poem “Migrant Hostel”. “Migrant Hostel” describes the Skrzynecki family’s two-year stay at a migrant hostel in Parkes. They immigrants that arrive in Australia stay in migrant hostels, until they can find themselves a permanent home. There is a sense of unpleasantness “all the comings and goings…sudden departures”. There is an uncertainty about “who would be coming next” added to the uncertainty about what will happen to their lives in the future. The immigrants seek out people from their own countries, with a persisting hatred of others from former enemy countries. They are secluded form the rest of the Australian society “barrier at the main gate” and endured the patronising attitude from society “rose and fell like a finger pointed in reprimand or shame”. Those who could not cope “were dying”.

The composer has used many techniques to explain that physical journeys can be emotional, intellectual and physical. Through the use of powerful and exertive language this poem illustrates the crisis of emotion experienced by many migrants. This is demonstrated when Skrzynecki uses the metaphor of the road barrier, “a barrier at the main gate sealed off the highway from the front doorstep”, to emphasise the pain of being excluded of partitioned off from mainstream society. The finger-like barrier is a metaphor, which represents the migrants; sense that they will be pointed at or scorned by the outside society, which is represented by the highway outside the hostel. The simultaneous use of the simile “like a homing pigeon” draws on the imagery of cultural/racial instinct. The immigrants are finding comfort and try to gain a sense of belonging; a home. Another simile is “we lived like birds of passage” meaning that they moved from one place to another. Therefore they are unsettled. Another technique is the structure, in which the poem is set. The length of the stanzas is inconsistent which matches the lack of stability in the lives of the immigrants. Their lives are in transition. Free verse and the half-formed sentences also support the idea that their lives were unstable and trapped by uncertainty. There is imagery in the unpleasant image Skrzynecki creates of the migrant hostels. They were seen as blocks of segregation “adjoining blocks”, “station” and “partitioned off at night”. he also uses imagery of migratory birds. Survival requires that they journey from one side of the world to another.

“Migrant Hostels” describes being on a physical journey in particular immigration. They are caught in a place for some time while still continually sensing change and a strong degree of uncertainty. Even though the immigrants have left the war behind them, they have come to these migrant hostels, which they are locked in. we can see that there is a sense of search for identity in this poem, the immigrants have come from another country to have a better life, yet they are locked in the migrant hostel.

Composers represent journeys as being multifaceted in nature. Physical journeys can help you discover the potential for human endurance. We see this through the poem “Crossing the Read Sea”. This poem describes the voyage of immigrants to Australia. The persona describes in detail the physical experience of migrating by ship, which is the physical aspect of the journey, whilst also describing the hardship the Skrzynecki family had to experience within themselves emotionally and mentally. The poem describes the crowded conditions, “a landscape of milk-whit flesh”; the discomfort they had to experience whilst embarking on their journey, and the pain of feeling homesick and not wanting to leave fond memories of home behind.

This poem reflects the actual physical journey across the Red Sea and incorporates reasons behind the journey, “sorrows…of northern wars” . The persona uses personification in “Time waited anxiously with us” in order to give the time human characteristics. Personification is used to increase the force and power of nature and life itself. Another technique used is imagery, “Red banners/ that Time was hoisting in mock salute” . Here “red banners” is a reminder of the totalitarian regimes they are leaving behind, while “time” is in control of their destiny and there is a feeling of wordlessness shown by “mock salute”. Skrzynecki uses metaphor as a technique, linking their own journey to the title “Crossing the Red Sea”, the journey the Jews once had to embark on which was a long hard journey also, which lead the Jews to a better future. The persona refers to Lazarus, here he is referring to miracles, that people are able to start over. The immigrants have overcome many obstacles. They are leaving Europe in order to reach Australia and begin new lives. A major theme in this poem is resurrection. Here resurrection is used to portray the new begin, new life of each immigrant. Rest and comfort illustrate that they have been through the trauma and now they rest. Also hope and sacrifice is one theme that stands out. At night when people dream- there is hope in the night. The colour red stands for sacrifice. The immigrants are sacrificing for the future, that is still ahead, sacrificing for the future is the hardest type.

Composers represent journeys as being multifaceted in nature. There are many obstacles in life, there are also many paths of which we must take only one. We see this through the poem “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost. This poem is a metaphor of a physical journey, where the persona explores the choices in life. The persona acknowledges there are many paths to choose from and knows only one path can be taken “sorry I could not travel both”. the persona chooses the road that was “grassy and wanted wear” and “one less travelled by”, a road which clearly presents more challenges and in turn may be more rewarding. In the end, the persona is satisfied with the decision as “that has made all the difference”.

This poem is a clear example of a physical journey having an emotional impact on a person particularly in regards to choices and their consequences. Like many Skrzynecki poems this poem contains the degree of uncertainty and the unknown however Skrzynecki’s family could not choose the path they took. The entire idea of the roads is a metaphor for choices that must be made during a journey. There are metaphors within this metaphor, “In leaves no step had trodden black”, to instil of the unknown and the continuum of new choices that journeys bring. Repetition is used, “Two roads diverged in a (yellow) wood” , this is repeated to bring closure to the choice that was made. The persona is satisfied as the decision has given him both hope and regret of which is part of the human experience. The repetition of “and” in the first stanza creates continuity, lengthens the line and movement in the persona’s mind on the possibilities “and sorry…and be one”. There is low modality which displays the uncertainty of the persona in which road to choose, rationalising the better path “having perhaps the better claim”. There is a rhyming pattern , the identical rhyming pattern (ABAAB) in each stanza contributes to the nostalgic tone. There is also a nostalgic tone, sustained throughout the poem to show that the persona is reflecting back at the choices and how it impacted the present “I shall be telling this with a sigh”.

The word “travel” in the first stanza indicates that it is a physical journey. The word “undergrowth” symbolizes the obstacles which prevents smoothness of the journey. On the course of journeys, a person will become more mature and thinks for themselves. Here the persona takes the road “less travelled” to break away from norms and to experience something new. The personal pronoun “I” shows that it is a personal journey where self-identity is used to make choices “no step had trodden black”.

In a variety of ways composers represent journeys as being multifaceted in nature, this concept was explored in the texts “Crossing the Red Sea”, “Migrant Hostel” and “The Road Not Taken”. These different texts show that physical journeys can be interpreted in different ways and presented in different textual forms. Through reading and viewing these various texts, we gain a greater understanding of physical journeys. We also understand that composers represent journeys, physical journeys in particular, as being multifaceted in nature. They have many different qualities, they represent journeys in different ways, and they have many different facets.

i think there are a few mistakes :(
and i know it aint perfect

Narcu

HSC
$hifty for the win.
Thanks loads.

I'm going to work on three poems now, as that would indeed give me more angles to respond from.

I'm thinking of Guitar Highway Rose for related material as I both like and understand that.. Any other suggestions though?

Should I be saying anything, even briefly, about Skrzynecki's other poems that i'm not focusing on.. Maybe establish relationships between them to show some proof of his purpose behind writing them?

Edited add: Anyone got any of those 'general/umbrella statements' about journey? I could really use a few of those to work with.

Last edited:
HSC
since you are meant to be talking about two poems from Skrzynecki then dont waste your time writing about the rest,

and your both welcome, just dont copy it word for word, coz my friends already did :(

good luck

schmoph

HSC
that essays heaps good dude, once u add the related texts and possibly a thir poem, btw my teacher said, and i quote "two in emmence detail or three in detail" she also said "two in emmence detail and briefly mention a third to back up your ideas" and i got told to have two related texts. good luck with it all, and ur essay helped me heaps with study notes on it!... i wont plagerise i promise, you just inspired me!

Last edited:
HSC
huh? who are you talking to? coz im the only one with the essay and i put it up today...

schmoph

HSC
yeah i ment that reply to go to u shiftyice person.. im knew at this! sorry!

i-am-jo-jo

HSC
Thanx ixe queen i came across ur essay and it has proved useful for study

THANK YOU xo :)

muzz-murray

HSC
hey shifty, thanx for your post, life saver, u can count i wont plagerise, i just need a structure and format to start off, i hve trouble in english and to have something lie a guide to work with is a great hand. thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)