Peter Skrzynecki (1 Viewer)

Sordafish

HSC
You guys have to realise, that Skrzynecki doesn't write his poems thinking "Oh, i'll use a similie here, and a metaphor here...and why not do a little imagery here, and make this mean this....."
That's what I hate about English. These thing have never had the meaning we give them it's just our shitty interpretations.

on a side note ;)

in 10 Mary STreet how hes like
"Inheritors of a key that will open no door" (or whatever its like)
I've always interpreted that as, theyve been kicked out of home and given this key to a new place which doesnt actually exist. but all the analyses i've read say differently,

mizzroyalty

HSC
N/A
I'm sure there is something blatantly obvious that I'm missing...but what does the phrase "Like a well oiled lock" actually mean? I know it's supposed to be a simile but for what exactly?
"For ninteen years
We departed
Each morning, shut the house
Like a well-oiled lock,"

My understanding is that for 19 odd years they have become efficent and familiar with a routine, which may dduct a sense of belonging.

A well oiled lock - maintainence and effiecient.

shad0w

HSC
I'm sure there is something blatantly obvious that I'm missing...but what does the phrase "Like a well oiled lock" actually mean? I know it's supposed to be a simile but for what exactly?
having a well oiled lock lets you unlock the door smoothly (with the key), unlike an un-oiled lock where you need to twist and turn before the lock decides to unlock.
In the poem (I assume) he's referring to his security within the home (belonging, etc) and the daily routine the family has. [shows the unity of the family through the use of "we"]
Towards the end of the first stanza he describes their journey to school/work (routine, is it considered allusion [the descriptions]?).
This is significant to the juxtaposition of "St Patrick's College" as he had disorder and no routine when he was traveling to school (stanza three), although he described feeling "like a foreign tourist" he still knew what bus to catch (specific to the 414).

I'm going to sort of use that idea and others relating to the two poems (st pats and 10 mary st) except I need two related texts, and I don't know what to use!! I would like to use an image and a short story/article [no Shaun Tan! or other prescribed texts used in past HSC's, although other Leunig ones are fine]

Omegalomaniac

HSC
I think it relates to the idea of a lock and key and how it provides protection/security.... That's just my take on it though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)