Peter skrzynecki (1 Viewer)

atrocityx

HSC
i dont understand the ambivalence of belonging in peter skrzynecki's poems "feliks skrzynecki" and 10 mary street

could someone explain ? D:
i've asked my teacher already but i still dont understand it and he gave us a essay question for hw

"for many individuals a sense of belonging will always remain ambivalent" ..

how has the poet conveyed this idea throughout the text ?

dfjsdhfklsdjfv,kncx DDDDD:
IM SOO CONFUSED

:'(

bored.of.u

HSC
I believe the question is mainly directed towards the ideas of belonging concerning the persona and not the father. The poem contains much conflicting and juxtaposition of Peter's belonging to both his inherited Polish traditions and those of the Australian environment. Eg. The scene involving the interaction between Feliks and his Polish friends he considers this scene with a sense of disconnection, the strong hand shaking and booming voice of his fathers name. However in the scene involving the department clerk, he defends his father's choice to avoid assimilation (he doesn't learn English) and curses the clerk in Polish. This shows the confliction which i think the question is aimed at.

atrocityx

HSC
I believe the question is mainly directed towards the ideas of belonging concerning the persona and not the father. The poem contains much conflicting and juxtaposition of Peter's belonging to both his inherited Polish traditions and those of the Australian environment. Eg. The scene involving the interaction between Feliks and his Polish friends he considers this scene with a sense of disconnection, the strong hand shaking and booming voice of his fathers name. However in the scene involving the department clerk, he defends his father's choice to avoid assimilation (he doesn't learn English) and curses the clerk in Polish. This shows the confliction which i think the question is aimed at.
OMG THANKYOU SO MUCH! you helped me alot!
thanks!

atrocityx

HSC
no wrries :)
oh i have one more question to ask! hope thats okay?

um, how would i structure my essay , like since im talking about two poems about the ambivalence of belonging, would i talk about one poem about belonging and another poem of not belonging? and how they both relate to the ambivalence of belonging?
how do you think i should structure my essay for that question?

Rhii_Mac

HSC
Start it like a normal essay.. talk about the first poem and then get general ideas from both that relate to ambivalence.. eg the different ways they belong feliks belongs to polish community and peter cant grasp that.. and relate it to 10 mary street where they both belong in a house.. make sure you mention the amount of time they have been in there.. there is huge emphasis in 10 mary street of the fact that they have been there 19 years.
example:

In the text Feliks Skrzynecki , the subject is shown to belong to both his polish traditions and his garden this is shown in the quote "loved his garden like an only child"; (explain quote here). This is also shown in 10 Mary Street "tendered roses and camellias like adopted children" (explain quote here).

also talk about the juxta position between both texts.

hope this helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)