Phantom of the Opera (1 Viewer)

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Jase said:
Who's the old guy during the black and white sequences?

is he raoul or the first manager/owner of the opera??
it's raoul... because i have the program/script from the stage production :p... and also at the beginning when he buys the monkey music box, the auctioneer says "sold to the vicomte de chagny".

my sister thought it was one of the managers too, coz it looks a bit like one of them :p

Seabiscuit

HSC
I love Phantom of The Opera! It was amazing! I want to see it again!

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
Throughout the movie they make out that old guy in the wheelchair during the black & white scenes, to be the Phantom (well that's what I thought).. but then figured out it was Raoul.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
it's kinda weird though, because i thought raoul was only a few years older than christine (who's meant to be 16), but in the black and white sequences, he seems to be older than madame giry? hmm.

gibbo67

HSC
i went and saw phantom of the opera last night - thought it was pretty good. it was good to be able to string together some of the soundtrack songs i had played on the piano some years ago and put them in the context of the story

apparently the musical is still showing in the west end and broadway and there is a tour of asia by a theatre production company

mishka

HSC
N/A
glycerine said:
phantom of the opera doesn't exactly have a fantastic score anyway.
huh??!! :eek: you're kidding, right??

i thought the movie was awesome - it was pulled off really well. as for those saying "they could've cut out some of the songs", hello, Phantom of the Opera is a MUSICAL, it's the same if you were to say "the Sound of Music should've had more talking and less singing"

i was taken to the stage show when it was in sydney, but i didn't actually remember the story. i did however know the songs, so that was a plus. i can understand that those who didn't get to see the stage show or listen to the music may have found the movie strange or hard to follow, but i thought it was great. i'd go and see it again, actually. :D

malkin86

HSC
I saw it, and Christine annoyed me. She seemed quite brainwashed and her costumes, while period, were mainly for titillation (who wears a scoop neck to go out in a blizzard??).

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
mishka said:
huh??!! :eek: you're kidding, right??

i thought the movie was awesome - it was pulled off really well. as for those saying "they could've cut out some of the songs", hello, Phantom of the Opera is a MUSICAL, it's the same if you were to say "the Sound of Music should've had more talking and less singing"

i was taken to the stage show when it was in sydney, but i didn't actually remember the story. i did however know the songs, so that was a plus. i can understand that those who didn't get to see the stage show or listen to the music may have found the movie strange or hard to follow, but i thought it was great. i'd go and see it again, actually. :D
difference between being a musical and singing about doing your fucking laundry

Darth Figgy

Angel of Music
HSC
malkin86 said:
I saw it, and Christine annoyed me. She seemed quite brainwashed...

Um, that's the entire point of her relationship with Erik (the Phantom). He has a power over her...ie.

"My power over you, grows stronger yet..."

"I am your Angel of Music...come to me, Angel of Music..."

"And he'll always be there, singing songs in my head..." etc. etc.

malkin86

HSC
Or she got too easily brainwashed. I know she's young and orphaned and all, but I guess that this brainwashing has gone on for years and years and years.. since her father died. It's just difficult for me to understand this level of brainwashing. Her costumes, though, were half of the annoyance.. just made for the perv factor. (scoop neck + blizzard, anyone?)

Last edited:

mishka

HSC
N/A
glycerine said:
difference between being a musical and singing about doing your fucking laundry
my point was, it's a musical, a movie based on a soundtrack, which supports the story being told. cutting out any song from the soundtrack would cause disjointment in the plot. :)

HSC
Phanatical said:
Best. Musical. Ever.

Best. Movie. Evar.

Discuss.
I only just saw that last night at my friend's house and I could not believe how captivated I found myself to be with it. It was amazing, seriously. And I can't believe that Emmy Rossum and the other actors were ages I didn't expect to be. The guy who played Rauol is like, 30 and Emmy was only 16 when she filmed it - she's amazingly mature. It was fantastic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)