Pharmacists?? (1 Viewer)

ZZZZZZ

HSC
I was browsing one site which had all the salaries of most careers and was surprised to see that pharmacists earn $29 000 (b4 registration). Wow , thats nothing! does anyone know how much they get after rego? i was bummed, because i was seriously considering an undergraduate degree in pharmacy.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
DO NOT CHOOSE YOUR CAREER BASED ON IT'S SALARY OR YOU WILL BE MISERABLE. Do something that you're actually interested in and want to do for a few decades.

If you want to do pharmacy, do it regardless of the pay.

You don't want to be one of those people that dreads waking up in the morning because it means they have to go to work. No amount of money will make that go away.

On topic- I have no idea how much a registered pharmacist gets.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
There's more than working in a pharmacy with such a degree.

turtleface

HSC
I was browsing one site which had all the salaries of most careers and was surprised to see that pharmacists earn $29 000 (b4 registration). Wow , thats nothing! does anyone know how much they get after rego? i was bummed, because i was seriously considering an undergraduate degree in pharmacy.
Why would you honestly care about the first year salary? Obviously your graduate salary is not indicative of your future earnings. However I also think the people who made that survey and put in "(pre-reg)" are twats because they are making an excuse for Pharmacy (blaming the low grad salary because its pre-reg status) when many other professions require registration (e.g medical practitioners, psychologists, insolvency and audit accountants, dentists etc.)

Anyway, its your salary in 5 years time and 10 years time that counts. You'd be stupid to choose to do something based on GRADUATE salary. On the other hand, given most people are materialistic, its not that abnormal to go for a profession based on future earnings potential (just not graduate salary cause thats a shit indicator - wait, its not even an indicator at all). However, every profession can earn the big bucks eventually. I can't think of any one profession where you are unable to eventually garner a salary of $1 million p.a.+

Some are easier to get big money than others, but in the end its all up to what you can stand doing for the next 30-40 years or so.

As for answering your question, depends on what you got into. If your a trainee pharmacist at a pharmacy, its obviously whatever they feel like paying you. At large companies, you get similar to other 2nd year grads (i.e. 45-50K) etc. Of course it all varies.

Last edited:

missjess1990

HSC
Hey, I have worked in a pharmacy for nearly two years after school etc. I really enjoy it and want to continue a career in pharmacy. Hopefully i get in next year. After pre-reg the salary goes up a heck of a lot - basically for a pharmacist in charge you earn $100k + super and bonuses etc. You have to love what you do before you worry about the money you are earning. If thats all good then you're set !! hope this helps. Jess.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
It's pretty stupid to base your career choices on salary.

Anyway, post-registration pharmacists earn like almost 3 times more and owners earn $200-300 grand a year.

Pharmacy's a good field, but its status as a profession is a little unstable at the moment.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Nakashima said:
It's pretty stupid to base your career choices on salary.

Anyway, post-registration pharmacists earn like almost 3 times more and owners earn $200-300 grand a year.

Pharmacy's a good field, but its status as a profession is a little unstable at the moment.
on a plus note the pharmacy guild makes the govt weak at the knees :)

also having a pharm degree means u can own a pharmacy in aust.. thats the most important thing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)