Pharmacy (NRSL) and Timetable Questions (USYD) (1 Viewer)

porphyrin

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I'm a NRSL, in my final year of a BSc (Chemistry major) and I'm very keen to apply for Pharmacy next year. The MPharm course is an option, however I will not have completed the 5 out of 7 pre-requisites necessary, so I'm thinking of applying for the BPharm instead (plus I don't really want to sit the GAMSAT or do the remaining pre-requisites before I apply).

At the moment, my GPA is 6.76, but realistically after this year is finished, it'll be somewhere between 6.2 (if I get all credits) and 6.76 (if I get all HDs - I wish! :) ). I sat the STAT in January, just to get it out of the way, and got 179 (99.3 percentile).

Just wondering what chances are of being accepted? What sort of GPA/STAT marks have others had to be accepted?

If I do get accepted, I'm also curious about the first year timetable. I assume that I would be granted credit for 1st year Chemistry (given it is my major ;) ) and the new molecular genetic subject (already did 2nd year Genetics).

Given those exemptions, What sort of hours per week could I expect in 1st year? Also a rough breakdown of hours per day would be great too (obviously it'd be different in 2009, just wanted to get a general picture).

Thanks very much!

Porphyrin

hctaha

Pharmacy USYD
HSC
For Pharmacy at USYD first year chemistry=
CHEM1611 & CHEM1611
These two units of study are for Pharmacy students and lead to second year Pharmacy.

... and sorry i can't help with anything else

porphyrin

HSC
N/A
Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I should get credit for those two (I hope anyway!) as I am doing a Chemistry Major for my BSc (which is finished this year).

I found the 2008 Pharmacy handbook online and that actually answered a few of my questions re: hours etc. I wish I could access a timetable though, just to get a rough idea.

Fingers crossed I get in for 2009! :)

Liz

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
porphyrin said:
Hi,

I'm a NRSL, in my final year of a BSc (Chemistry major) and I'm very keen to apply for Pharmacy next year. The MPharm course is an option, however I will not have completed the 5 out of 7 pre-requisites necessary, so I'm thinking of applying for the BPharm instead (plus I don't really want to sit the GAMSAT or do the remaining pre-requisites before I apply).

At the moment, my GPA is 6.76, but realistically after this year is finished, it'll be somewhere between 6.2 (if I get all credits) and 6.76 (if I get all HDs - I wish! :) ). I sat the STAT in January, just to get it out of the way, and got 179 (99.3 percentile).

Just wondering what chances are of being accepted? What sort of GPA/STAT marks have others had to be accepted?

If I do get accepted, I'm also curious about the first year timetable. I assume that I would be granted credit for 1st year Chemistry (given it is my major ;) ) and the new molecular genetic subject (already did 2nd year Genetics).

Given those exemptions, What sort of hours per week could I expect in 1st year? Also a rough breakdown of hours per day would be great too (obviously it'd be different in 2009, just wanted to get a general picture).

Thanks very much!

Porphyrin
I did a NRSL transfer this year, with GPA of 6.25 (after a year) and STAT of 179 (hey we tied for it :)
The university says you need GPA of around 6.00 and STAT of 150 to gain entry-though I suspect that they may let you in with slightly lower GPA. But looks like you will be able to get in without any problem as long as you wrap up the B.Sc nicely.
In terms of hours, you will be able to get exemptions for about half the subjects in first year (leaving you with 10-12 hr/week) , and possibly some of second year subjects related to chemistry. But you will have to spend the full length of four years once you enter B.Pharm to graduate.
Btw, you don't have to complete the pre-requisites until the end of first year should you choose M.Pharm path rather than B.Pharm. But you do indeed have to complete at leas 5 out of 7 prerequisites. Any chance of sneaking in some physiology or pharmacology while keeping your chemistry major so that you have both B.Pharm and M.Pharm cards in play?

porphyrin

HSC
N/A
Thanks very much for your reply, sydneyphoenix, and congrats on transferring.

I would love to have the MPharm option up my sleeve and have looked into it. I am doing a 2nd yr Physiology subject this semester (but will only be 6cp, rather than the required 12).

I also haven't done any pharmacology or human biology (or biochemistry - although two of my 3rd year chem subjects would definitely overlap with an intro biochem type subject?). So haven't really got the 5 out of 7 pre-req and doing the others isn't an option for me this year.

So will have to start over and do the 4 yr undergrad degree. I love Chemistry and the way it applies to the human body, it is fascinating, so I'm sure I will really enjoy the degree! Just hope I get in :) Will continue to work very hard this year to give it my best shot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)