pharmacy + stat (1 Viewer)

HSC
Are you serious? chem was ON? Some friends and i left and bitched about him over coffee during that hour :) But meh, spose i wouldn't have listened to him anyway. He drones, and I would be sitting there seething the whole time. I'm having bad experiences with chem lecturers. Hambley ejected me last semester, do you guys remember that? I said one word to this guy who asked me a question! grr...

On topic, I'm finding it more interesting as we go along. The subjects are becoming more pharmacy based, which will continue, as opposed to just generic subjects. This is a course that you can't do for one week and decide whether or not you want to be a pharmacist. There's so many steps, and the early stages aren't a good indicator of pharmacy as a career. And I don't think it's too difficult really, just have to stay on top of things. Everyone's pretty relaxed this year. They keep mentioning 'In third year you'll learn blah blah' or '...but that's not til 4th year', so sounds like the really interesting and/or hard stuff is a while off. But I'm content - can't see myself doing anything else.

Oh and I didn't do/like bio for hsc either, but got distinction in Concepts last semester. If you put your mind to it, you'll be sweet, trust me.

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
hey there!
my friend's currently undertaking "preparatory mathematics and science" at tafe and he said he's able to transfer to uni after his 1st yr with an average of D/HD .. then he' will be undertaking b.science at uni, and transfer to pharm. after 1st yr .. with respect of an average of D/HD.. is all this possible? or he's just imagining unrealistic things that will never work?

lala2

Banned
HSC
No, D/HD average is about what's expected to transfer to pharmacy. Good luck to your friend in this process, his perseverance is also commendable--he's looking at spending at least an extra two years to get into pharmacy!

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
so his process is possible?? wow .. thats really good for him then .. i thought he was messing with me.

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
you take up B. medical science at uni. Duration of say 3 years .. is it possible to transfer after 1st year with respect to an average of D/HD? Or you gotta complete the whole 3 years course to transfer to pharmacy? Cause I heard some uni requires you to complete the whole duration of the degree .. esp. Sydney and that is where I was planning to transfer to.. after my 1st year of medical science. Please help ! ><

frootloop

HSC
I know a few people that transfered after their first year of doing Med Science... as long as you get a D average or so and pass STAT you should be able to transfer into Pharmacy. Good luck! :)

hobbit

HSC
Ok, so here's how it works.

- If you do say a B med science for one year, then to transfer into pharm ur UAI is not considered but only ur uni marks and it's highly likely that u'll prob need a distinction average.

- If you did B med science and stopped like halfway thru first year, then ur UAI is what's used to get into pharm the following year, I dont think there is any midyear entry.

- Now, if you have finished the whole 3 year B med science, then essentially you already have a degree and thus u will have to do the postgrad M Pharm rather than the B Pharm and dont quote me on this, but I dont think you can put M Pharm on HECS but u have to do it full fee. I dont know what the prerequisits for M Pharm are but I imagine it would have something to do with ur uni marks.

Good luck to everyone!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
hobbit said:
- Now, if you have finished the whole 3 year B med science, then essentially you already have a degree and thus u will have to do the postgrad M Pharm rather than the B Pharm and dont quote me on this, but I dont think you can put M Pharm on HECS but u have to do it full fee. I dont know what the prerequisits for M Pharm are but I imagine it would have something to do with ur uni marks.
MPharm does have HECS places and theyve only just increased the numbers up to a grand total of 10. Remember you have FEE-HELP if you are short.
The prerequisites are quite extensive and i cant remember off the top of my head what they are. In terms of uni marks for entry, my friend, got 84 WAM at the end of his B Med Sci degree at USYD. He applied to M Pharm and didnt get a HECS spot, but this was last year, when there werent 10 HECS places but only 4. He was the next in line for a HECS spot.

shindig

HSC
hi there everyone

i am applying for pharmacy this year and i wanted to know what is the average salary after you have done the first year work experience and got the registration. i know that for first year out its around $30k but i cant find any info about the years afterwards.

And how much does the salary changed once you own the pharmacy (1.5x, 2x etc) ?
And is there any chance anytime in the future that other health professionals will be able to buy phramcies?

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
what?! first year out is around $30k ??!! ONLY?! >< man i sure hope your mistaken buddy ..

shindig

HSC
yeah i read somewhere that it is the lowest salary for the first year out students for any health science course

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
shindig said:
yeah i read somewhere that it is the lowest salary for the first year out students for any health science course
Yeah, but that's before we're licenced.

After registration it's something like 75-80 grand. 200-300 if you're the owner.

Winx

HSC
Oh wow, Pharmacy sounds pretty interesting...well, from general consensus if you survive the boredom of first year or something :) But I'm curious, Nakashima you said something about registration...are you registered automatically upon graduating? Or do you have to do something else first?

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
Winx said:
Oh wow, Pharmacy sounds pretty interesting...well, from general consensus if you survive the boredom of first year or something :) But I'm curious, Nakashima you said something about registration...are you registered automatically upon graduating? Or do you have to do something else first?
After graduating, and after 2000 hours of paid work (approximately 1 year) there's some sort of licensing test. That's all I know about it, also I heard it's hard.

Btw those 2000 hours doesn't include any work before graduation.

hobbit

HSC
Hey all!

Ok, after finishing ur 4 year degree (that's if you manage to pass everything first time first go) you graduate, get the nice certificate to frame and hang in the doorway, shake the deans hand and most importantly.....start looking for a pharm grad position and start your registration (ie. just because you graduated, it doesn't make you a pharmacist yet). You need to work 2000 hours on a pretty crappy pay as noted above AND you have to do assignments, presentations etc. as well. The registration process is not run through the university, it is run through the guild i think. Also, people say it's hard, but from talking to pharmacists, they tell me it's not much different in terms of difficulty from what you're doing in uni, however, what makes it tough is that for most people, they will be working full time AND studying for their registration at the same time so the work load gets pretty hectic. At the end, you do some registration test and make some presentation to a panel of people and if you pass....ur finally a pharmacist! Which means ur pay will most likely double.

Good luck everyone

shindig

HSC
hi all.
just got my stat mark back and i managed to get over 150 ( 172 to be exact) and now i am thinking of pharmacy at USYD as the main degree i am going to be doing next year. But i still have a few questions about the career. if they have already been answered, i'm sorry for that and plz point me in the right direction. anyway here goes.

1. What exactly is it that a pharmacist does in a community pharmacy?

2. How many places are on offer at Usyd?

3. in recent years, there has been a dramatic increase in the no. of unis offering pharmacy and the no. of places at each uni.. Why the sudden change? Is there really that much of a shortage of pharmacist?

4. This question follows on from the last and probably the one which is bugging me the most. What will the job security be like in say 10 or 20 years from now? Will the unemployment rate remain as low as is it now? what about the supermarkets buying pharmacies etc.? is it just a rumor or is their any possibility behind it? where will that leave the pharmacists and them being the only one able to own pharmacies?

5. Why is their such a dramatic increase in income when a person owns the pharmacy? is it coz of selling other products available in pharmacy or something else?

6. What about working in hospitals.. would the pay be same or lower than working in retail pharmacy?

i think thats about all. if anything else pops up into my head, i will post it up. thank you for any info you can provide me and others considering pharmacy as a career

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
shindig said:
1. What exactly is it that a pharmacist does in a community pharmacy?
A community pharmacy is just a glorified way of saying a pharmacy you see at your local shopping centre. they usually do the prescriptions and give advice on those and non-prescription medications. You can ask them for health advice too but obviously not along the lines of a Doctor.
2. How many places are on offer at Usyd?
The 2005 intake was 250 and i think they increased it for the 2006 intake by a few tens of people

3. in recent years, there has been a dramatic increase in the no. of unis offering pharmacy and the no. of places at each uni.. Why the sudden change? Is there really that much of a shortage of pharmacist?
No, not really. Only USYD and CSU hace pharmacy degrees. Its not like a law degree where its offered at any corner of NSW. Apprently there CURRENTLY is a big shortage of them. Id imagine theres a greater need in rural areas as there is for health care professionals.

4. This question follows on from the last and probably the one which is bugging me the most. What will the job security be like in say 10 or 20 years from now? Will the unemployment rate remain as low as is it now? what about the supermarkets buying pharmacies etc.? is it just a rumor or is their any possibility behind it? where will that leave the pharmacists and them being the only one able to own pharmacies?
Who knows. Picking a profession is a risk. Think about it, say less than years ago the IT industry boomed and then plummetted dramatically. with now only those who have been in the industry long enough and have experience have stayed.
Unemployment IMO will decrease with the liberal government pushing capitalism down our throats.
Supermarkets as a rumour? I thought it was knocked back from an initial proposal. I dont think it would have an impact on those working as pharmacists but it will impact on the pharmacy small business owner itself.

5. Why is their such a dramatic increase in income when a person owns the pharmacy? is it coz of selling other products available in pharmacy or something else?
Its like any strategic business planning. Alot fail and the ones that survive do really well. Profit is the basis of any business. They could be buying a bulk lot of 10 pack condoms at 5 bucks each box but selling them for 12 bucks a box.

6. What about working in hospitals.. would the pay be same or lower than working in retail pharmacy?
Working within a public hospital means that youre on a set wage/" salary cap" because you're wages is provided through the government. obviuosly this might be more if you're in private hospitals. There may be incentives/bonuses if you work in retail practice in addition to your wage. At that point, your boss sets your reneumeration. Generally, private pharmacists working in retail earn more.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)