PhB worth moving interstate for? (1 Viewer)

SoresuMakashi

HSC
Do any current/former students have any advice for a sydney-sider? It seems that there are lots of advantages to the PhB and ANU in general-the independence, the reputation, the research (especially since I'm looking at a career in physics research), and the supposedly calmer atmosphere.

On the flip side, there's affordability. Is money something that students struggle to cope with, or do government payments and a little support from parents cover the costs well? Doing your own laundry also sounds pretty annoying :p

Is the course worth the cost and bother, or would I be better off just living at home and just doing TSP Adv. Sc. at USyd (which really is quite good itself)?

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I moved from Melbourne to Canberra because of the PhB, and it was definitely worth it for me. However, I did get a scholarship that meant financially it wasn't too difficult. It can be quite difficult to support yourself financially just with a part time job and not much parental help.

SoresuMakashi

HSC
For someone who's considering the PhB, you don't appear to be too intelligent. The PhB is a gruelling, intellectually rigorous degree that will depend on your own --yes! independence and incentive. If you don't want a career in physics research then the PhB is not for you because the PhB is for people who are serious about academic research. People in the PhB start doing Masters courses in their second year and have been given offers to lecture to students before they start Honours.

Everyone in the PhB receives a scholarship that funds their degree because they're serious about working. It's the university's most prestigious and hardest degree.

If you are seriously considering not going for it because you are too scared to try cleaning your own clothes because mummy always did them for you, then you should probably stay in Sydney, and let someone who is serious about their future and life go for the place. Because a lot of people out there really want it and are not just thinking it's a "cost and a bother". It's a freakin' opportunity.
I apologize if I gave you the wrong impression, but I do take my studies seriously, I and most certainly want to pursue a career in research. It's just that there are undeniable negatives to moving interstate; I was merely asking experienced individuals for any advice they may have. I don't see why wanting to make an informed decision on such a big issue could warrant such a hostile response. :(

Also, what's this about everyone in the PhB receiving a scholarship? I understand that most students in the program would qualify for a scholarship, but I have never read anything about being guaranteed one.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
If you want a career in research, chances are you are going to need to travel and/or work at other universities/establishments. If you can't leave Sydney then you're not going to be the best researcher you can be. The best and the brightest aren't afraid of anything; let alone something trivial like studying away from home. I moved to the ACT by myself and I didn't know anyone and I was lonely as but then I got over it and made friends and life was fun again.

Plus I was busy because if you don't get a HD average each semester, they take away your scholarship and kick you out of the degree. True story.

Look, just do whatever you want to do. There are definite advantages to staying at home. The PhB is just for those that love research and designing their own subjects instead of doing what's offered.
So passive aggressive, just chill out mahn.

SoresuMakashi

HSC
Yeah, not sure if...

Anyway, I just don't want to go there are then realise I can't actually afford it. That would be an amusing scenario. Wealth may be trivial to true intellects like us, but unforunately, it makes the world go 'round.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Do they by any chance accept second year undergrads into the PhB?

From what I've gathered after reading this thread, it's plain that it's an amazing degree.

I like Usyd, but if they do offer scholarships for accommodation then there's no argument from me.

And my three sentences rhyme.

true intellects like us
Lol

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Do they by any chance accept second year undergrads into the PhB?

From what I've gathered after reading this thread, it's plain that it's an amazing degree.

I like Usyd, but if they do offer scholarships for accommodation then there's no argument from me.

And my three sentences rhyme.
Yep, you can transfer into the PhB, though not usually later than first semester of second year. The scholarships aren't particularly for accommodation; they're just general scholarships.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I was not trolling, I was a bit miffed someone would have taken someone else's place at the program when it apparently rested on the degree (pun) of laundry difficulty. People get disappointed every year.
Each year, ANU accepts many more people to the PhB program than actually enroll (as people end up choosing a closer university, or get scholarships elsewhere). The people who miss out usually miss out because ANU doesn't think they'll cut it, not because ANU doesn't have enough places.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Er, I don't know if that's true either... the PhB program has gone from approx 10 to approx 16-17 last year because of a conscious academic decision to expand the program because more people are applying each year. Some didn't want to expand it as they thought it would take away its exclusivity; others had no problem in accepting a greater student load.
That may be so for PhB Arts, but for PhB Science around 40-50 are offered a place and only about 30 or so of those actually end up enrolling. There's no second round of entrances: if you turn down a place, they don't offer someone new in your place. Mind you, I was under the impression that it was a bit easier to get into PhB Arts, in the sense that I know of several people doing PhB Arts who got an ATAR below 99, whereas I know only one guy who got an offer for PhB Science with an ATAR below 99. I figured that the small incoming classes was based on the lack of qualified applicants. That being said, that's just based on my inferences from a small sample size.

And isn't it the other way around? More people enrol than get accepted...? How do people enter the program then if they don't choose it? Genuine question.
Sorry, my wording was probably a bit unclear here. I meant that ANU offers a place to many students, and not all of them choose to accept that place, but then ANU doesn't do a second round of offers for the places that weren't taken.

SoresuMakashi

HSC
true intellects like us
Shh.... I was trying to get onto her good side.

It sounded deep and meaningful at the time, okay? Now it just seems lame. -.-

More seriously though, what is this PhB scholarship I keep hearing about?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)