PhD in physics Vs Engineering (1 Viewer)

Joel8945

HSC
Hey,

I just completed my VCE with an ENTER of 89.45 and I have a love of physics, maths, biology (despite my fear of doing a 3/4 subject in year 11 and hence not doing 3/4 biology because I couldn't fit it in) and chemistry and a real weakness with English! My first preference is a BSc at melbourne since all opportunities arise from simply doing what interests you but one thing that I'm considering is what I'l do further down the track. Whether I major in maths, physics or chemistry and get a PhD in one of them or I major in engineering and become a professional engineer. What I'm wanting to find out is whether there is someone who had decided between them both and why they chose their path. Thanks in advance. Anyone who has anything related to this is more than welcome to post something.

:wave:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Much greater employment oppurtunities as an engineer, I would say.

Don't know much else though sorry.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Joel8945 said:
Hey,

I just completed my VCE with an ENTER of 89.45 and I have a love of physics, maths, biology (despite my fear of doing a 3/4 subject in year 11 and hence not doing 3/4 biology because I couldn't fit it in) and chemistry and a real weakness with English! My first preference is a BSc at melbourne since all opportunities arise from simply doing what interests you but one thing that I'm considering is what I'l do further down the track. Whether I major in maths, physics or chemistry and get a PhD in one of them or I major in engineering and become a professional engineer. What I'm wanting to find out is whether there is someone who had decided between them both and why they chose their path. Thanks in advance. Anyone who has anything related to this is more than welcome to post something.

:wave:
Same position as me.

Best of both worlds.

Engineering / Science (Physics) Double degree

sunken eyes

HSC
Go for engineering, that way one day you'll have a paycheque.
Besides that glib answer, you'd have to state what field of engineering you thinking of. I don't know about physics but PhD work in engineering is massively diverse. Pick the right field and you can do anything that captures your imagination. I was chem eng and between my uni and other unis I saw projects including carbon sequestration, clean coal, waste water treatment, phytomining, polymers engineering and a bunch of biomedical stuff. That's just what I remember too. So it's up to you but I'm sure that engineering PhD could offer you a subject that interests you.

GinoIs

HSC
Jumping the gun a bit?
Haven't started Uni and planning to do a PhD already...

Joel8945

HSC
sunken eyes said:
Go for engineering, that way one day you'll have a paycheque.
Besides that glib answer, you'd have to state what field of engineering you thinking of. I don't know about physics but PhD work in engineering is massively diverse. Pick the right field and you can do anything that captures your imagination. I was chem eng and between my uni and other unis I saw projects including carbon sequestration, clean coal, waste water treatment, phytomining, polymers engineering and a bunch of biomedical stuff. That's just what I remember too. So it's up to you but I'm sure that engineering PhD could offer you a subject that interests you.
Sorry I should have added that chemical engineering is probably the field of engineering that appeals to me the most.

As for jumping too far, I do like to have a plan of what I will be doing down the track and also a good knowledge of all the doors open with a choice.

Also there is also the fear that a certain choice could destroy what the paycheck I get as what sunken eyes stated.

sunken eyes

HSC
Pick whatever university you want to go to and ask if you can speak to a few PhD students about what they're working on and see what interests you. If you're going to put a lot of thought into your future, put a little effort in too. Ring ahead and I'm sure someone can accomodate you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)