Philosopher's Stone vs. Azkaban (1 Viewer)

PhoenixBurd

HSC
Wow, nice. I understand what your saying, but you have to take into account the context of the times that led to the different films. In a sense the first and second are completely different films to the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7ths... because of different technology, actors and ideas. I would agree on the whole space thing to an extent, but take into account what the movies were trying to portray - two different harry potter years with very different 'feels' about them. I wouldn't necessarily say one actor is doing something better, or more effectively.

A good but hard choice here! Well done so far.
I understand what you're saying, because context provides a lot of understanding about cultural and social ideologies. For example, the ways in which contemporary culture is desensitised to things which in the past were considered controversial. In the context of my research however, I am looking exclusively at the films, and contrasting how the directors approach the films in their own ways, and what they bring to each film. Technology definitely develops - therefore expanding what films can do (Avatar), new actors bring new dimensions to film (namely Dumbledore), and new ideas from directors (such as Cuaron vs. Columbus) produce different aesthetics. While it is easy to incorporate the books in a textual analysis of the films; my focus is purely on the films. So, in saying all of this: I argue that Columbus' film does not have the same depth as Cuaron's film, through the cinematic techniques they each employ. For example, the use of the camera and space, editing, cinematography etc, which are all aspects of mise-en-scene. However, this is of course only one example that I am sharing in this forum.

Thanks for your support too!

PhoenixBurd

HSC
he is studying film studies.....what a waste of a whole degree
SHE is studying more than simply film studies. I have studied many aspects of the Humanities, such as history, art, film studies, philosophy, politics, cultural studies/research, psychology, literary studies...

Can you please enlighten me as why my degree is a waste of time? In my opinion, all of these disciplines are more than relevant to our understanding of modern everyday life, as well as providing insight into where we have come from.

The study of culture for example, is relevant in the ability of positioning oneself within society. In this instance, the Harry Potter films (as well as with all films) are products of culture, and hence are part of who we are. I think that it is safe for me to say that you indulge in cinematic productions. Whether they be from Hollywood or not. Film studies have developed our understanding of what we can do with film, how we can represent our own realities, produce new realities and evoke experiences which are exclusive to the uniqueness of cinematic experience. Enter my thesis: the importance of understanding embodied affect in film.

I am honestly curious about your position, so please explain it for me.

PhoenixBurd

HSC
HSC 2003 LOL? you're like 25 years old and wanting answers from a bunch of teenagers ahahaha. You're old enough to be their teacher...
I am about to turn 24, and it takes time to get through a Diploma, Degree, Honours year and I plan on studying my Masters next year - not to mention having a year off to travel a and live in America. I am not in any hurry to start full time work just yet. I have the rest of my life to work, so why not spend as much time as I can - while I am still able - to learn and expand my knowledge of the world around me. I absolutely love and enjoy being a university student. I am not 'old', there are many people who are studying at uni who are older than I am. In today's society, there are so many avenues you can take, and age is not really a limit for the career and future I am headed towards. Plus, I am very happy with what I have achieved in my life, as well as looking forward to what will be next.

I too think that I have come to the right place! I value every comment, because there are so many varied opinions, and it's interesting to see what other people think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)