Philosophy anyone? (1 Viewer)

company_sin

HSC
Is there anyone who does (or is doing) “Society, Knowledge and Reason” or “Reality, Ethics and Beauty”?

If so what are these subjects like and how are their workloads.

I’m still up in the air on whether or not I should drop one and take on yet another English unit…

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
i was going to do Reality, Ethics and Beauty, but since I'm doing the ed/arts (psych), i think i'll be philosophised enough :p it souns like a good subject though.

it depends on how many engl units u are doing. if u think u can stomach all four of them then go for it. or if u want a variety, then do 3 and a different subject to keep u interested,

company_sin

HSC
Yeah, contemplating doing 3 eng and the "Reality + Ethics + Beauty" course...

But still so unsure,

frenchie

HSC
I did "Reality, Ethics and Beauty" last year and overall it was a really useful introduction to a variety of philosophical tools and currents of thought. About 4 weeks is spent on each of the three areas, tutorial readings are easy to manage and the assessment is one essay plan 10% one essay 30% and one final exam 60%. The final exam is only on the final two areas, the first having been assessed through the essay. I found that attending lectures, saying something in tutes and browsing the readings was enough work to achieve a reasonable mark. Lecturers are quite good too.

cuivienen

HSC
I'm doing philosophy ("Reality, Ethics and Beauty")...It is an area I am interested in learning more about :) I love English, and really enjoy philosophical readings, from any context really...Cheers for the overview frenchie...Looks really positive...

J

jhakka

I'm doing Reality, Ethics and Beauty, and Introductory Logic. :D

LazyBoy

HSC
im doing Reality, Ethics and Beauty. but im thinking of maoring in Philosphy and Information Systems. Im doing arts and Sciences so if i work out my units right i can do two majors.

classics_chic

HSC
I did Society, Knowledge and Reason and it was the worst crap out. After that I got out of philosophy ASAP, even though I was told how wonderful Reality, Ethics and Beauty was. I'm now doing Classics, Classics and... well, English.

derrida

Old Hack
HSC
Im currently doing Reality Ethics Beauty....

well, if you want to do philosophy do it.

That person that had that shit experience is stupid. If they really paid attention in class they would be able to deliver their philosophical argument about why the course should be changed. This course is about these issues as well as what makes a sound philosophical argument. I found it entirely interesting. I think everyone has had their objections to the course, to the views of the lectures, while agree with them at other times. They know this. They want you to argue your point! Its very provoking and challenging. Just like good teaching should be.

I think if you do the readings and think for the tutorials then you will enjoy what you are learning.

Its a matter of doing the work, just like any subject.

Introductory Logic should be considered after the first semester. You have 3 weeks at the start of each semester to vary your enrollment.

J

jhakka

Some bits were a bit wanky. Some people just do PHIL to look smart.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I'm doing Reality, Ethics and Beauty and will be doing Society, Knowldge and Reason next semester.

The Reality and Ethics components were really interesting but Beauty is so so so so shit. Society, Knowledge and Reason sounds good, but take a look at Intorductory Logic if you want something philosophical but not so airy fairy...

company_sin

HSC
Justin, considering you do ALL of my subjects. Yes all of them!!!

Did you think Phil was the hardest out of the lot?

In terms of difficulty:

Phil > Engl > Hist > Edu ?

J

jhakka

If I was going to do Maths (Science-wise), I'd go the whole way, even if I hadn't done 3 or 4unit during the HSC. :p

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Has anyone on this forum taken philosophy past the second year? ( is anyone planning to do a major or minor in it?)

If so, how have you found it? (i.e has it matched up to your expectations? are the topics interesting/taught well?)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
is the logic course hard/interesting? is it actually mathsy?

J

jhakka

From what I've heard from someone who has done it, there is anyways an answer - that's mathsy enough for me.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
apparently you convert english to notation :( i hate it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)