Philosophy courses in Science/Commerce? (1 Viewer)

Pyramid

HSC
I refer to this Science/Commerce page and also to Table A.

The quote is from the Science/Commerce page. It talks about what students must do in the Science part of the degree.

Completion of the required courses for a major in one approved Science discipline . The remaining Science course or credit requirements not required for a major sequence and not core courses, as prescribed, if any, must be Science courses. Science courses are defined as course codes in the Schools of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Bimolecular Sciences, Biological Earth and Environmental Sciences, Materials Science and Engineering, Mathematics and Statistics, Psychology, Physics, Optometry, Aviation, the Science Faculty (SCIF), Computer Science, Medical Science, and Food Science (A minimum of 84 UOC (14 courses). Please refer to the majors available inTable A.
Please correct me if I'm wrong here:
- I can take any course in Table A, so long as it counts toward my Science major.
- Any courses that count toward my Science degree, but not toward my Science major, MUST be a strictly Science course (and not an-out-of-faculty course, e.g. a Philosophy course)

I ask because I want to do Philosophy courses in my Science/Commerce degree. Philosophy is included in Table A. However, I only want to minor in it, or just take a few courses in it (my major will instead be in Psychology).

By my interpretation above, I may take Philosophy courses SO LONG AS they count toward a Philosophy MAJOR in the Science degree. But I may not take them on the side...correct?

---
Btw, I know that I may take a few 'free options' in this combined degree, but only "up to 3" free options are allowed.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I didn't read the handbook or whatever, but I don't think you can take Philosophy major/minor/courses. (Well, you can take philosophy courses if you have spare units after completing the required UOC of science, and required UOC of commerce)
If you do a double degree, commerce/science, your major for science HAS to be from the science faculty. end of story.

HSC
N/A
Taking a PHIL course used to be OK as it is in Table A, but the wording has changed from a couple of years ago, and it looks like you now can't. Or it could just be that someone screwed up the wording. Best to ask the Science/Commerce people if you are really interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)