Philosophy in the classroom - The teaching of thinking (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
For anyone that missed it, please go to this link:
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow/stories/2006/1801778.htm#

Transcript said:
Robyn Williams: The Australian Sceptics national convention just held in Melbourne chose Kylie Sturgess from Perth as their runner-up prizewinner for critical thinking this year. She's a teacher and believes that young people may actually be taught to think at school.

Kylie Sturgess: Everyone thinks. Or at least we think we do. Thinking about thinking is not something that appears to come naturally, it becomes developed through practice and through internalising certain habits of mind. Examining the basis of your current beliefs is the start of critical thinking. How to build that firm basis of reason in Australian high schools is something I'm interested in. It began in 2003 when a student told me about her favourite book in the school library; an encyclopaedia of the paranormal. She read it whenever she needed to relax, like reading a good romance or a pulp fiction novel. This encyclopaedia told her that you can sharpen razor blades by placing them under a pyramid shape, either glass or paper. Apparently it didn't really matter what it was made of because the special forces inherent in the pyramid shape have magical powers. She knows this is true because the book told her so. The book said that there is a patent for it in Europe, so it must work, or at least she thinks it works. She hadn't tried it herself but the book seemed confident enough.

I'd like to point out that the student isn't stupid, misguided or illogical. She made a rational, logical decision based on the evidence that was before her. She came to her beliefs in the same manner as would any of us. In her case, a respectable-looking book told her that pyramids did sharpen objects. She examined the story within the framework of what data she was given. Everyone can be wrong about something and believe weird things that don't have much evidence for them, but how often do we see what can be learned from being wrong and use it to improve our thinking, especially about weird things.

A few years ago I read an excellent book called Why People Believe Weird Things by the renowned sceptic Michael Shermer. In the book, he asks if teaching critical thinking skills will stem the rising tide of belief in the paranormal. As a teacher I was interested in putting this into practice and so I started looking to undergrad courses into scepticism and critical thinking. However, I didn't find much on how to teach similar concepts in secondary schools. It was with this in mind that I first taught how to investigate the paranormal and pseudoscientific. I did this in my high school English classes at Methodist Ladies' College in Western Australia.

Although I started with discrete assignments on philosophy, this year I devoted an entire term to science, fiction and scepticism. Scepticism is a subset of critical thinking; it's questioning the validity or authenticity of something claiming to be a fact, usually applying the scientific method to investigate claims of the paranormal, the pseudoscientific and alternative medicine. Questioning what could be the best way to teach scepticism led me to seek a project which required the practical application of thinking skills. After working on various 'philosophy in the classroom' projects, I discovered the 2006 West Australian Sceptics Awards for young critical writers. The sceptics encouraged students to investigate, survey and experiment upon any pseudoscientific or paranormal claim.

With regular consultation with my school science department, who were more than willing to suggest graphing strategies, double-blind testing protocols and useful research papers, we began seeing whether we could do science in the English classroom. Ideas abounded as the students pondered how exactly one could test psychic abilities, horoscopes, ouija boards, and feng shui. Could we survey the entire school to find out how popular these beliefs were amongst young women? What was a reasonable sample size, and how did one graph the variables correctly?

Although I originally started my tertiary studies in agriculture, this was a learning experience for me too as we all sought out useful sites, books and films that could communicate scientific concepts and not so scientific human-interest stories that were relevant to our studies. Scepticism can be a lot of fun when you challenge what people do with their beliefs in weird things. 'Where do we draw the line?' was a common question. Naturally the internet became one of our favourite sources of information. The power of the internet is that there is a lot of material out there. The curse of the internet is the same, as discovered by a group of eager students when they found a dubious masters degree thesis in commerce which claimed to use the I Ching as a business management tool.

And not even our beloved Auntie is immune to this sort of claptrap. ABC television's popular science program Catalyst is taking a break over summer. Strangely it is being replaced by the highly misleading, non-fiction program Psychic Investigators. There are 11 episodes scheduled. This is a shameful show which claims that psychics solve murders when all the evidence by the police and the investigators actually points to the contrary. Yes, it certainly looks very convincing, just like an encyclopaedia of the paranormal once did to a young girl who didn't know any better. Like hoax sites, vanity publications, flyers and brochures, workshops and even strangely accredited colleges, we are surrounded by messages on weird things that we really should question. In response, our school library began ordering books by James Randi, Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy, and Robert T. Carroll's Sceptic's Dictionary, just to even out the balance a bit.

We had a range of investigations and surveys done, all demonstrating that children can apply critical thinking to some benefit, informing themselves and others what odd things they may believe without questioning. The ouija board was found to be a big disappointment after the participants were blindfolded and the board turned upside down. The ghostly messages disappeared...well, like ghosts really. A psychic reading was found to be exactly like a magician's cold reading. The Apollo 11 moon hoax was discovered to be far less popular than conspiracy theorists would like us to believe, and Zener cards were admired for their pretty patterns after being tested on over 100 less-than-telepathic students.

By the end of the term, the WA Sceptics awarded my class an honourable mention for their studies in Feng Shui, and won two awards for tarot card and I Ching studies. All of the students were highly praised for their efforts. What amused them the most was because they were members of an all-girls school people were particularly impressed by what they found. Their response; 'Do they really think we all believe what Dolly magazine tells us about horoscopes or something?'

I hope that other teachers start seeing how philosophy for children is one of the best contributors to their education. Encouraging a sceptical mindset in the face of the many credulous claims which influence young people is very important too, considering the power of group thinking and our complacency in regards to potentially damaging claims.

The student who initially inspired me was given Lynne Kelly's The Sceptic's Guide to the Paranormal as a Christmas present. That book in particular summed up one of the most important things we learned this year; that we should care about the effects of paranormal and pseudo scientific claims, as they range from the unfortunately deluded idea to outright fraud. We could be less wrong about what we believe in. All it requires is a little more thought and encouragement to think.

Robyn Williams: Kylie Sturgess teaches thinking at Methodist Ladies' College in Perth, and she's just won a Critical Thinking Prize from the Australian Sceptics. The ABC television series Psychic Investigators, now polluting the Catalyst timeslot on ABC television has so far scored the following from the critics: 'drivel', Sydney Morning Herald; 'rubbish', The Age; and 'unforgivable' and 'mumbo-jumbo' in The Australian. Ten excruciating weeks to go.
It was a great show, I'm a big fan.

Last edited:

lengy

HSC
As much as I think philosophy should be taught in school, I think dumb people serve a purpose in this world. Mainly for our entertainment more than anything and a resource to exploit.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I try my hardest to never have thoughts quite like that because I know there's definately people out there with more knowledge than me and there's alot more knowledge to be had than I could ever know.

Carl Sagan.... roughly paraphrased said:
Human knowledge is an expanding island in an infinite sea.... While as time passes the island grows it can make no ground....
Sigh... i'm not too good with quotes, but I got the imagery right.

lengy

HSC
Then let then serve the purpose of the intellects. Not everyone aspires to be free of ignorance, just as not everyone aspires to be free from ignorance. It should be an optional course.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lengy said:
Then let then serve the purpose of the intellects. Not everyone aspires to be free of ignorance, just as not everyone aspires to be free from ignorance. It should be an optional course.
Well then why not make school entirely optional? Afterall, not everyone aspires to know how to speak english properly.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
lengy said:
As much as I think philosophy should be taught in school, I think dumb people serve a purpose in this world. Mainly for our entertainment more than anything and a resource to exploit.
I agree, many people are incapable of thinking on their own and teaching them how to think will be of no purpose. They're better off memberising facts and such. I think it would be better to focus on teaching people basics firsts. Maybe an anti-bias philosophy class, that would be good.

lengy

HSC
The current curriculum is a means of raising the population's education level to best serve themselves and the country by a standard deemed acceptable by the Education Department. Through this course of action I feel that is serves as a preventative measure from crime and poverty thereby lowering the strain placed on the government to provide welfare to the population. Those who seek greater knowledge or skills may pursue it as an optional course. The current system provide this though more optional courses would be greatly appreciated.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
lengy said:
The current curriculum is a means of raising the population's education level to best serve themselves and the country by a standard deemed acceptable by the Education Department. Through this course of action I feel that is serves as a preventative measure from crime and poverty thereby lowering the strain placed on the government to provide welfare to the population. Those who seek greater knowledge or skills may pursue it as an optional course. The current system provide this though more optional courses would be greatly appreciated.
I couldn't agree with you more. Basics first though, basics first.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The current curriculum is a means of raising the population's education level to best serve themselves and the country by a standard deemed acceptable by the Education Department. Through this course of action I feel that is serves as a preventative measure from crime and poverty thereby lowering the strain placed on the government to provide welfare to the population.
I can make the same sort of practical arguments for critical thinking being taught in schools... Less people being tricked into silly deals, Less people making silly decisions, society as a whole moves forward by more thorough planning, productivity goes through the roof, Australia becomes an innovation hotspot...

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I can make the same sort of practical arguments for critical thinking being taught in schools... Less people being tricked into silly deals, Less people making silly decisions, society as a whole moves forward by more thorough planning, productivity goes through the roof, Australia becomes an innovation hotspot...
Well, the question is how do you induce critical thinking? How do you inspire it while following guidelines? If you had to do it the teachers would need leniency and again it would just fail. Anti-Bias lessons however would be much better.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well, the question is how do you induce critical thinking? How do you inspire it while following guidelines?
Did you even read the transcript of the sort of things that teacher is introducing? --'

If you had to do it the teachers would need leniency and again it would just fail.
Why can't teachers have leniency?

Anti-Bias lessons however would be much better.
That's already well covered by the english topic 'telling the truth' or whatever it's called, I really see no point to more of that.

lengy

HSC
Yeah but then who will the Right exploit if there was no one to see through their little bag of tricks? :rolleyes:

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Philosophy? Aren't there enough useless subjects in the HSC as is?

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
If there are more philosophical people there will probably also be more depression, suicide, brooding and relativism. Society ought to only have a limited number of people bearing the intellectual burden. I'm with lengy on this.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If there are more philosophical people there will probably also be more depression, suicide, brooding and relativity.
What makes you suggest that? I mean, as far as I know, the most depressed/suicidal people are those out in the country with little/no access to higher levels of education.

Society ought to only have a limited number of people bearing the intellectual burden.
Despite what you seem to be implying, I don't think there are stupid masses that don't share the same sort of intellectual problems as the intellectual elite - They're just at a different stage.

I.e. Poor, single, middle-aged mothers do probably think about life after death etc, they merely don't have the tools to go further. They've got the same gnawing intellectual burden but merely less tools to investigate it.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
This discussion isn't mostly about suicide but there is a link between suicide rates and intellectual inability to meet educational expectations. I don't have the time to bring out links to articles right now, but you should admit that there's some truth in my generalisations.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
This discussion isn't mostly about suicide but there is a link between suicide rates and intellectual inability to meet educational expectations.
I think there's a higher link between suicide and inability to find work / being dumped by your girlfriend to be honest...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)