• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Phobias, Do you have one? (1 Viewer)

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
Your survey doesn't work for me... I cant click the boxes or write anything where the text should be...

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
alright well seeing as your little survery thing doesnt work on the site.......ill do it this way.. i would of PM'd it to you but you havent enabled it yet.

1) What is your age? (Please indicate the right box in any way)

15 – 25 

2) What is your ethnic background? (E.g. are you Australian, Indian, Maltese, Irish, etc.)

Australian

3) Sex: (Please indicate the right box in any way)

Female 

4) Marital status: (Please indicate the right box in any way)

Have a boyfriend 

5) Do you believe in Phobias or do you think it is an act of some sort of act?

Yes i believe in phobias

6) a) Do you have a Phobia? If you answer no please skip to question 14).

Yes

6) b) If you answered yes in the question above, what is your Phobia of?

Needles and not being able to breathe and swallowing tablets

7) How long have you had your Phobia for? (Please indicate the appropraite box in any way).

Since you have been born or can remember: 

8) Do you know why you have this particular Phobia or what caused it? (E.g. A traumatic event, nightmares, past experiences, etc)

past experience/traumatic event

9) Do you know of anyone with the same Phobia as you?

Yes

10) What do you believe can help you get over your Phobia or is there something you have come across that helps you?

Not having needles :) and i do breathing exercises when i have one of those 'times' where i feel like i dont have enough oxygen

11) Has your Phobia affected the way you live? If yes how? (E.g. your lifestyle, social life, physical appearance, Friendships, Relationships, where you live, etc)

It affects my relationship with doctors because they treat me like shit when i say i cant take tablets and that i cant have needles... Some of my friends also think its hilarious when i go through one of my 'moments' when im around needles or tablets.

12) When you confront your phobia either accidentally or on purpose, what is your reaction? (E.g. do you scream, runaway, hide, get goose bumps, cry, etc).

Scream, cry, hyperventilate, sometimes faint

13) Have you ever benefited from your phobia? If yes how? (E.g. getting out of homework, work, going out, someone wanting to write about your phobia, been on television about it, etc).

No and i dont see it as something that can be benefited from

14) Do you believe a phobia can be treated medically? (E.g. through prescription drugs, operations, a psychiatrist, etc).

I think some can.. but some phobias are too far advanced to be controlled

15) Do you believe a phobia can be treated by confrontation? (E.g. if you had a phobia of butterflies you would stand in the middle of a butterfly farm to help you get over the phobia.)

In my case, no. It has been tried and it doesnt work for me.

16) Medical reasons to why people have phobias, is that they are caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Please justify your answer.

I have no idea.. i dont know anything about my brain or the chemicals that are in it

17) Now after completing this questionnaire, what is YOUR definition of a “Phobia”?

Something that you are utterly and completely scared of, something that affects you so deeply that you will do whatever it takes to avoid it/get away from it etc etc... blah blah blah something that can cause a great deal of damage to personal relationships and also sometimes to everyday life...

HUZZAH! your questionaire is complete

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Jeez that's abit close to the bone...

I am afraid that one day someone will prove there is no such thing as pms, and that all the mood swings and crankiness and crying fits and lethargy are simply a result of my personality...

Abbeygale

HSC
Hmm. If you enable PMs, I'll fill in the questionnaire, but I'm not as brave as muse.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Hope this helps..

1)What is your age? (Please indicate the right box in any way)

15 – 25 

2) What is your ethnic background? (E.g. are you Australian, Indian, Maltese, Irish, etc.)

About 6th generation Australian

Female 

Single 

I naturally believe in them because I have one (or a few depending how you look at it)

Yes

Choking/Being unable to breath or swallow. I also have an intense fear of spiders.

7) How long have you had your Phobia for? (Please indicate the appropraite box in any way).

Not since I can remember, but since about age 7 or so

8) Do you know why you have this particular Phobia or what caused it? (E.g. A traumatic event, nightmares, past experiences, etc)

Not really. Prehaps past experiences..

Not personally.

10) What do you believe can help you get over your Phobia or is there something you have come across that helps you?

I have not come across anything that provides relief and I dont believe there is something I could use (from past times of attempting to 'cure' my phobias). I have resolved myself to avoid certain situations.

11) Has your Phobia affected the way you live? If yes how? (E.g. your lifestyle, social life, physical appearance, Friendships, Relationships, where you live, etc)

Not particularly - although there are certain foods I avoid, etc.

12) When you confront your phobia either accidentally or on purpose, what is your reaction? (E.g. do you scream, runaway, hide, get goose bumps, cry, etc).

I freak out: hyperventilate, stress, etc. And after the confrontation I usually cry... Lame I know.

13) Have you ever benefited from your phobia? If yes how? (E.g. getting out of homework, work, going out, someone wanting to write about your phobia, been on television about it, etc).

No ...

14) Do you believe a phobia can be treated medically? (E.g. through prescription drugs, operations, a psychiatrist, etc).

I dont think so.

15) Do you believe a phobia can be treated by confrontation? (E.g. if you had a phobia of butterflies you would stand in the middle of a butterfly farm to help you get over the phobia.)

Some phobias I believe can be treated that way and others can not. Such confrontation could derive a deeper fear into someone. I believe those with extensive knowlwedge would be able to make the correct choice

16) Medical reasons to why people have phobias, is that they are caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Please justify your answer.

Personally I do not agree. Scientists also believe that homosexuality is caused by being chemically inbalanced. I do not believe this and also do not believe in phobias being a chemical imbalance. I believe that although this may be true, even if I personally do believe it I am big enough to accept scientists know more then me :p, that phobias generally are from circumstances or past experiences, even if we cant remember them.

17) Now after completing this questionnaire, what is YOUR definition of a “Phobia”?

And intense anxiety attack that occurs from a certain stimulus. An irrational fear of a certain thing, object, feeling or circumstance.

Done. :)

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
_muse_ said:
alright well seeing as your little survery thing doesnt work on the site.......ill do it this way.. i would of PM'd it to you but you havent enabled it yet.
u would get a lot more surveys if u enable PM's, but here is mine neway

1) What is your age? (Please indicate the right box in any way)

15 – 25 

Australian born chinese

male 

single 

Yes i believe in phobias

Yes

a slight prob wit roaches

Since you have been born or can remember: 

past experience/traumatic event

Yes

squashing the damn roach

no. a killing satisfies every1

am startled

No and i dont see it as something that can be benefited from

nope. it is simply fear/discomfort

It has been tried and it works for me.

it don't apply to my case

something that u fear, due to some underlyinfg cause

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)