phone and water does not mix!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
My sister dropped hers down the toilet -.- LOL.
And they won't even touch it, even if you want a new one through insurance etc, they send a replacement and won't even try touching it.

yeah i wont go through warranty, just wanna know if maybe a phone repairs shop can put a new keyboard thing in, cause surely thats less than 400 for a new phone

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
And they won't even touch it, even if you want a new one through insurance etc, they send a replacement and won't even try touching it.

You could just make sure it's all dry, and say that it "just stopped working" and if they start going on about water crap, then say it is the phone that stuffed up.... heck, sometimes they give pushy customers whatever they want :D. The customer is always right... right?
I tried doing that once but the guy knew from the getgo that it was water damaged.

yeah i was thinking that..
obviously warranty is void cause it got wet..
but considering everthing else is working, and the keypad works occasionally,do u think it may be fixable??

just wondering whether there is any hope..
Take you batter out and your covers off and try placing them on top of a set-top box, dvd player or something along those lines, for a few days. I dropped my phone in a rock pond and did exactly that. Everything worked fine after that, except the LCD screen which was permanently stuffed, the repairer fixed that for about $40 though.

HSC
cool will stick it on top of my foxtel unit.. will try anything! cheers

u-borat

Banned
HSC

You could just make sure it's all dry, and say that it "just stopped working" and if they start going on about water crap, then say it is the phone that stuffed up.... heck, sometimes they give pushy customers whatever they want :D. The customer is always right... right?
haha same; i went swimming with my ipod in my boardshorts :/, so i left it in the sun for a few weeks then sent it back to apple and was like, "HAI GUISE MAI IPOD STOPPPED WORKING FIX PLOX" and they sent me a replacement. :haha:

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
My boyfriend dropped his in a spa...

He put it in the oven :p (he was drunk) but on a really low setting, and it dried it out fine. I'm not sure how safe that was...but it works perfectly now...lol

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
remove the battery then put the phone into some rice, so that the rice would absorb any moisture.

Äj

HSC
hey d00dz, i can help you out with this one. =P
OK!
almost every phone thats been in water can be fixed, within reason. (washing machine/ sitting in salt water for a day is NOT reason)
if your crafty like the ninja you can fix it yourself.
need:
distilled/demineralised water (from supermaket)
methylated spirits, (also from supermarket, cleaning section probably)
some luck ;)

first thing is to get it out of the water asap and get the battery and sim card out. the longer power is on it while its got water in it the more chance that something will short out inside and cause it to die in a fire. if you dropped it in salt water (oh gawd) its still fixable, but youll need to remove as much of the casing as you can such as battery cover and the whole case if its one of the ones that you can change the case on (like when you buy pretty pink ones from that chinese phone place). youll then want to wash it out with distilled water/ demineralised water, get it from any supermarket (do this for pools, puddles and any others too. to get out any bits of dirt and salts in there) after youve sloshed it around well and rinsed thoroughly, (leaving to sit for awhile even if it was in salt water, then sloshed and rinsed again to get it all out)
then you will need the metho, which is just ethanol (the stuff that drinkies have in them, only 99% per volume) with some poisonous icky bad tasting stuff so kiddies/hobos dont drink it.
try and dry off as much water from the phone as you can. towel, shaking or whatever works for you (oven not recommended, lest your screen suffer a potentially horrible fate) doesnt need to be really dry just so its not sloshing.
next you need to get a container, (bucket is good idea) put your phone in it and pour in enough methylated spirits to cover it. then move it around abit to get the metho all through it.

the basic idea here is that ethanol (ie methylated spirits) and the water left in your phone will combine, ethanol evaporates at a much lower temperature then water and also does not conduct electricity (good thing). you may then warm your phone up and the water will evaporate with the ethanol leaving you a nice, water free phone.
you can now chuck the battery back in and see if she works! it is possible that there 'may' still be water in the screen, as theres lots of little bits for it to get into in there, youll just have to try and rinse that really well and dry it. nice n warm, so you can still touch though (those damp rid things that suck the water out of the air into the little bucket could be a good idea, or even rice)

the reason it is important to wash it out "thoroughly" with the pure water first is the salt and such obviously wont evaporate, which could mean bad things (such as dodgy keypads) and corroding circuit boards.

IF it still isnt happy after all this, you may wish to repeat, as water/ gribbly bits may still be in your phone making it unhappy. but if you get it all cleaned out and dry its its all but guaranteed that it will work again.

lame-o phone techies not taking water damaged units, just cause it takes more time then they get money :p
but the 10 odd bucks thisll cost you can save you a couple hundred of a new phone

edit: yes, while your warranty is void by water you can still get it fixed, though at your own expense.

Last edited:

P!xel

The lazy one.
HSC
Maybe this is off-topic, but would the above method apply to an iPod too?

I went swimming with my iPod in my pocket -_-.

It only turns on when the PSU is connected. It's dead on it's own.

Any ideas? :confused:

kara42

HSC
Hiptops and V do not mix.

I'd only had it for like half a year and then spilled V on it and it stopped working :(
Telstra told me it couldn't be fixed, some random guy at like a pawn shop told me it'd cost over $500 to fix.

HSC
What you can do is take the cover off (if able to since i dont know the model and i dont have one) and let it out to dry. It might be residual water under the keypad beng moved about when ou press buttons, shorting the circuits or conducting th signal.

+1 i wet my V3I and left it in the sun for a few hours.. then it was working perfectly fine except i cant play music when the phone is closed... so i got a new phone.. :jedi:

PsychoNerd

HSC
so i dropped a brand new motorola v9 in a pool DAMMIT.
Dried it out, and turned it back on..

so it turns on, but no buttons (except the on/off/hangup button) work.

then i turned it back off, and on and then all buttons worked, then stopped working again..

can receive texts, calls, mic & speakers work fine.. it will charge fine, gets fine reception etc, screen is fine..

Just wondering if all i need is a new thing that goes under the keypad?

or ifi need a whole new phone!?

ANYONE KNOW??
cheers
You probably shorted some of the keys when you turned it on, the best thing to do when a phone is droped in water is simply let it dry out for about a day or two, until ur sure that it is completly dry (not just the outside).

PsychoNerd

HSC

It happend to my sister, although she never went swimming with it, eventually the battery just went dead, it got drained of its life. we got a new one and now my mum has it because my sis has a new one. just get the battery replaced, by a profesionial preferdatly, but it's probably not worth it, we got the new one for $200. if it's still under warrenty than just use that.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A

lol i have done this my zipper on my school skirt also doubled as a zip to do it up, so it was open at the top, i sat down out it slipped in the loo

Äj

HSC
well the way i see it if theres no warranty and its a chuck out job, whats there to loose but have a go?

if its an ipod or the likes thats over 16gb then it will have a hard drive in it so if you went swimming with it chances are its stuffed as water would have gotten in there and short of having your own clean-room thats not fixable.
depending on how much water you decided it needed to drink, if it was only a " oh crap i just dove in with my ipod!" and its out straight away not too much water 'should' have gotten in and you might just be able to dry it out. though ipods are annoying as you cant actually turn them off only on 'sleep' so there is still power.

i suppose if all else fails youll just have to get a new one and sell the old one on ebay as water damaged. theres always someone out there wholl buy it for 20 bucks or even 50 :p

bshoc

HSC
N/A
so i dropped a brand new motorola v9 in a pool DAMMIT.
Dried it out, and turned it back on..

so it turns on, but no buttons (except the on/off/hangup button) work.

then i turned it back off, and on and then all buttons worked, then stopped working again..

can receive texts, calls, mic & speakers work fine.. it will charge fine, gets fine reception etc, screen is fine..

Just wondering if all i need is a new thing that goes under the keypad?

or ifi need a whole new phone!?

ANYONE KNOW??
cheers
I remember doing this to my Moto V360v, except with ice tea, not water (although I did wash the ice tea out with water). Did exactly the same thing, e.g. only power button working etc. Dried it for 3 days, then 1 week, then nearly 2. Gave up and bought a new phone. Then I tried turning it on after 3 weeks and everything just worked perfectly on it, it was a little wierd, kept my new one and gave the Moto away to family member. So I guess you never really know.

Reeweee

HSC
A method that found works is to place the said damaged device into a bowl of uncooked rice overnight and that will effectively dry it out and hopefully restore it to its working order.

But if not a local phone store will usually take care of that easily for a charge of course.

moeycq

b0$$
HSC

genius.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)