• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Phonons (1 Viewer)

Stella09

HSC
what the hell is a phonon??? and what is the proposed mechanism by which they are produced????

cheers guys

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
Phonons are to do with quantised vibrational energy in a crystal lattice

Don't really need to know much about them in I2I, perhaps when you look at the BCS theory (depending on how in depth u wanna go)

An excellent resource on superconductors is posted by a friend, Joe Khachan from USYD

http://blogs.usyd.edu.au/ptf/Superconductivity.pdf

check that out.

But, don't go too in depth into it... It's beyond the syllabus and if you go into that much detail with the BCS theory, it actually contradicts the HSC marking schemes...

So, although it is more correct than what you are expected to know at HSC level, i am unsure as to whether you would recieve full marks.

Last edited:

Stella09

HSC
ah thanks for the hint... i hate teachers some time... cos that wat i thought, i was looking at the syllabus and didn't think it needed much depth but he's given us this assignment that asks exactly that question (the one i posted)
ya can't win lol
thanks for the link though bud,
i think ima look at all this now, answer this stupid question, then forget it lol... there is enough in the syllabus for us to remember without trying to cram more in there lol
thanks again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)