Photographic film Material??? PROPERTIES??? HELP (1 Viewer)

nsbrando

HSC
Give two desirable properties of a material used for photographic film.

nsbrando

HSC
this is in my assignment, i dont know where in the syllabus but i have to answer it

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Darkens in the presence of light where the amount of darkening depends on the amount of light and stable in air such that it does not decompose or react with air so information is not lost.

I believe those are useful properties of photographic film.

Rawf

HSC
1. Photographic film
• Radioactivity was and still is detected through the darkening of photographic film.
• Usually used in monitoring the levels of radiation exposure of workers in industries or research labs
• The darkening is caused by silver crystals forming as radiation is absorbed by the silver salts in the film
• Contains light-sensitive silver halide salts
• The amount of darkening on the film is a measure of the amount of radiation received by the worker

Erm, those are just straight out of my notes. When it comes to HSC however (I see you're doing it next year), I wouldn't exactly pick photographic film as one to base my answer on for radiation detection as you'll kinda be limited on your explanation. Learn geiger-muller counter and cloud chamber by heart.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Erm, those are just straight out of my notes. When it comes to HSC however (I see you're doing it next year), I wouldn't exactly pick photographic film as one to base my answer on for radiation detection as you'll kinda be limited on your explanation. Learn geiger-muller counter and cloud chamber by heart.
Photographic film is easy and good to know because it can detect both ionising and non-ionising radiation.

Rawf

HSC
Photographic film is easy and good to know because it can detect both ionising and non-ionising radiation.
I think it'd be hard to fill up all the lines if they give you say... 5-6 lines with 3 or 4 marks allocated. Photographic film doesn't tell you what type of radiation is present either which is a bummer.
I seem to find the cloud chamber quite fascinating, there are some cool videos of it on youtube too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)