Photography and Situated Media UTS (1 Viewer)

wonmin

HSC
Anyone pick this new course for a one of their options?
I really want to do this, Visual Communication or Architecture.

Any guesses on the cut-off?
I'm guessing it will be quite low since its a new course but since it is a new course, cut off might be high.

Blobulator

HSC

I'm guessing it will be quite low since its a new course but since it is a new course, cut off might be high.
Ok that sentence just confused me. Which is it? :p

As for the course... I was having a look into it as possibly one of my lower back-ups but I'm not entirely sure at this point in time. Visual Communications at UTS is my top preference though, heh. Once the art exam is finally out of the way I'll probably go back and re-evaluate my selections/order... see where Photography and Situated Media fits in then.

cerys

because i can.
HSC
I put that course - Photography and Situated Media combined with International Studies, as my third preference. I actually put that before Visual Communications since the course is a year shorter :E

I'm a little iffy about it though. Despite doing VA, I feel a little weary about taking risks concerning my future - especially with a route concerned with art (and and and, I figured it might be a little expensive doing Photography... I come from a less fortunate family). Don't really know too much about the course too, but I'm sure it'll be interesting.

I don't think (well, I'm hoping) the cut-off will be too high.

Last edited:

pattie_d

HSC
I put it as my second preference... :|
I love to get in it, it sounds heaps interesting.

Also I asked my Year Advisor about this, she said new course cut-offs are determined by how many places are available for the subject--and the top students that meet the highest ATAR and interview requirement, because you know, how they scale you in interview and atar.

I'm not sure about this but that's what I'm told.

wonmin

HSC
Ok that sentence just confused me. Which is it? :p

As for the course... I was having a look into it as possibly one of my lower back-ups but I'm not entirely sure at this point in time. Visual Communications at UTS is my top preference though, heh. Once the art exam is finally out of the way I'll probably go back and re-evaluate my selections/order... see where Photography and Situated Media fits in then.
Just saying that anything could happen. Time will tell.

cerys

because i can.
HSC
Hur? Will there be an interview involved in order to enter this course?

elenid

HSC
yeah I really want to get into the field of photography or visual design.. i think i put this as a second preference.. but if it's a high mark.. I'm screwed.. but i was a finalist for a competition they were running to advertise for this course.. so hopefully that will aid me somehow...
but my teacher came to the presentation thingy.. and she spoke to a dude.. apparently its gonna be a heaps small class.. so i would imagine the competitiveness would be pretty insane..
dunno if I'm up for that..
and there is the whole thing bout price of cameras and stuff. thats kinda annoying.. i need a job :|

sombrero

HSC
There isn't much info about this course on the UTS website. Does anyone know anything about it?

I'm sure the requirement will be in the high eighties, maybe even low nineties. Look at the other visually based UTS courses, each is very competitive.

It seems very interesting, too bad I've deferred and only applied for scholarships at USyd :(

n_cooper

HSC
The best thing is to not advertise this course, because the more people that hear about it, the more people that apply. By having more applicants, the cut off gets higher, so this post does not help people like me who have it as their first preference. Cause I'm screwed for a high ATAR, all my subjects pretty much scale down, so I have an extremely low chance of getting it. Oh well, I tried hard anyway.

designdesign

HSC
I was a finalist in the UTS Photography and Situated Media Competition (basically their attempt to market the course). At the presentation thing, they showed the 5 of us around the new studios, and they gave the impression they would accept people on the basis of a portfolio rather than ATAR/UAI.

What course have you accepted? vis com @ uts ?

Twihard

HSC

I was really interested in doing tis new course too, i assume the cut off would be pretty high, probably above the 90s. It would probably get higher along the way, coz its seems like a pretty interesting course.

debts

HSC
N/A
fyi, the cut off is 89.95 this year

i have two friends doing this course. it struck me as being a somewhat odd course though, being heavily focussed on the photographic medium - seems like a course you'd do as a diploma somewhere else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)