Photovoltaic cells (1 Viewer)

Old Spice Man

HSC
Hey All.

I struggle to handle how photovoltaic cells operate, could somebody be so kind as to provide me with a step by step guide of the conversion of light into electrical current. Going into detail on interactions between the p and n type semiconductors.

Cheers.

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Bump. Also do not get at all LOL. Very confused, all the textbooks are really vague and waffley when it comes to this. Something about exciting the electron to come out o_O

K

khorne

Ok. So you got the PN junction right? Inbetween the PN junction, there is a zone, where electrons migrate to the P side, leaving holes which stay on the N side. This is just a tiny band between then, not the whole semiconductor. When a photon then hits an electron on the N side, it can't go towards the P side, because between it and the P side, there are electrons which repel it (basically getting up an electric field), so it must instead go around the circuit and come back to the P side from the external circuit.

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow thank you very much lmao. That actually made sense LOL. the textbook just bombards you with too many words about liberation and potential difference and crazy stuff =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)