phy (1 Viewer)

hongkey

HSC
i got this queistion from the teacher...and i dunno wat to do:

Consider a tug of war between two ppl who pulls in opposite direction but wif the same force....the forcde that A exerts on B is just as great as B on A.

The questions asks: determin who will win?

can anyone hlep me on this?....thnx

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
well, during tug o war... two players must have their feet pushing away from each other on the ground... also, the two players exert forces on the rope as friction force...

but yea... pt taken, there r limited information on determining forces like friction and discuss their role...

hongkey

HSC
actually....it asks to use newtons third law....

the question also gives hints: draw a freebody diagram showin all forces...

i hav no idea how dat is a hint....

Last edited:

speersy

HSC
N/A
remember it is not who pulls the hardest who will win it the person that applies the most force on the ground therefore creating a reaction force pushing them away will win the tog of war.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hongkey
actually....it asks to use newtons third law....

the question also gives hints: draw a freebody diagram showin all forces...

i hav no idea how dat is a hint....
that's weird... the wordin of the qusetion is like newton's third law, but the actual content doesn't have anything to do with it... wel at least i don't fink...
yea, drawin a free body diagrm would sure help... we were just learnin that in phys in uni atm... tis just drawin the forces den breakin em down to their respective components...
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
split up the forces. and use vector addition
lolz, timmy, i suppose u do phys at unsw right??? but u r assumin they know how to adding vectors.... =p blehz

sonnnyzm

No-one would win. Becos if you draw up the vectors, they would cancel each other out. The teacher gave u a pretty shiti question :p . Sif the hints wste of time drawing

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hongkey
its a quesiton of the university physicss text book.....stypid teacher
is it??? did u find it in a uni text book??

untamedanimal

1.Isnt forces like friction and air resistance supposed to be ignored unless specified

2. Maybe the teacher knew that such a simple question might throw you off. It teaches a valuable lesson that maybe people should not always turn away from a simple explanation. I know that has screwed me up a few times, trying to find a trick in the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)