Physical Applications of Calculus (1 Viewer)

klaw

HSC
I have quite a lot of questions that I am unable to do, can anyone please explain how to do them for me plz? Thanks a lot!

1) A particle moving in a straight line has velocity V m/s at a distance x metres from the origin O, given by V = (2x-1)^(1/2).
If x = 0.5 m when t = 0, find:
a) an expression for x in terms of t
b) the acceleration

3) The acceleration of a particle moving in a straight line is given by a = -2e^-x, where x is the displacement from the origin in metres. Initially the particle is at the origin with velocity 2 m/s.
Show that v=2e^(-x/2)

4) A particle moves in a straight line and its acceleration at any time t is a = sin^2 x. Find v in terms of x given that dx/dt = 1 when x = 0.

5) A ball is thrown from a point on a horizontal plae with an initial velocity of 25 m/s at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal. Taking g = 10 m/s^2, calculate:
a) the max height reached by the ball
b) the range of the ball's flight
c) the speed with which it strikes the ground.

Last edited:

FinalFantasy

HSC
1) A particle moving in a straight line has velocity V m/s at a distance x metres from the origin O, given by V = (2x-1)^(1/2).
b) the acceleration

a)V = (2x-1)^(1/2)
dx\dt=(2x-1)^(1/2)
dt\dx=1\(2x-1)^(1\2)
t=int. 1\(2x-1)^(1\2) dx=2(2x-1)^(1\2)\2=(2x-1)^(1\2)+C
when x=0.5, t=0
.: 0=0+C, .: C=0
.: t=sqrt(2x-1)
t²=2x-1
2x=1+t²
x=1\2+t²\2

b)V = (2x-1)^(1/2).
V²=2x-1
1\2 V²=x-1\2
acceleration, x''=d\dx(1\2 v²)=1 m\s²

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
klaw said:
4) A particle moves in a straight line and its acceleration at any time t is a = sin^2 x. Find v in terms of x given that dx/dt = 1 when x = 0.
a = d(1/2v<sup>2</sup>)/dt = sin<sup>2</sup>x

1/2v<sup>2</sup> = &int; sin<sup>2</sup>x dx

1/2v<sup>2</sup> = 1/2&int; 1 - cos2x dx

1/2v<sup>2</sup> = x/2 - 1/4sin2x + c , but x=0 when v=1 so:

1/2 = c

&there4; v<sup>2</sup> = x - 1/2sin2x + 1

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
klaw said:
5) A ball is thrown from a point on a horizontal plae with an initial velocity of 25 m/s at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal. Taking g = 10 m/s^2, calculate:
a) The maximum height is achieved by the ball when dy/dt (vertical velocity) = 0. This makes logical sense since when the vertical velocity is zero it aint going to go any higher.

0 = Vsin&theta; - gt ----> t<sub>0</sub> = Vsin&theta;/g

use this in conjunction with the function for vertical position to find the solution.

b) When projectile motion isn't resisted then the path of flight is parabolic. This leads to a couple kinds of symmetry, one of which is time symmetry. Since you're projecting from and onto a horizontal plane then you can say that the time to reach the maximum height t<sub>0</sub> is 1/2 the total time of flight, due to symmetry. Hence the time taken for the projectile to hit the groud is 2t<sub>o</sub> so you can use the value from before in the function for horizontal position to find the range.

c) Here you can sub 2t<sub>o</sub> into the functions for vertical and horizontal velocity. You can draw up a right angled triangle like you would for the firing of the projectile and it can be seen that V<sup>2</sup> = (V<sub>x</sub>)<sup>2</sup> + (V<sub>y</sub>)<sup>2</sup>

See if all that works out for you.

FinalFantasy

HSC
3) The acceleration of a particle moving in a straight line is given by a = -2e^-x, where x is the displacement from the origin in metres. Initially the particle is at the origin with velocity 2 m/s.
Show that v=2e^(-x/2)

a = -2e^-x=d\dx(1\2 v²)
1\2 v²=2e^-x +C
at x=0 v=2
2=2+C
C=0
.: 1\2 v²=2e^-x
v²=4e^-x
v=2e^(-x\2)

klaw

HSC
wow... you two responded so fast... thanks a lot!

P

pLuvia

klaw said:
I have quite a lot of questions that I am unable to get, can anyone please explain how to do them for me plz? Thanks a lot!

b) the acceleration

Show that v=2e^(-x/2)

hey man.. wat skool u go to??. selective??,, have u learnt integration yet..

klaw

HSC
I've learnt integration but forgot how to integrate sin^2 x

Last edited:

FinalFantasy

HSC
klaw said:
some crappy school called pius, non-selective, I've learnt integration but forgot how to integrate sin^2 x
lol u serious?
St Pius?

to integrate sin²x
u know cos2x=1-2sin²x
2sin²x=1-cos2x
so sin²x=1\2 (1-cos2x)
den u can integrate that

klaw

HSC
hahahaha yeah in yr 11... I asked this for that assessment tomorrow... I forgot about it until someone reminded me two days ago and I was like oh shit! because I hadn't even looked at maths in the holidays

Last edited:

FinalFantasy

HSC
klaw said:
hahahaha yeah in yr 11... I asked this for that assessment tomorrow... I forgot about it until someone told me two days ago and I was like oh shit! because I hadn't even looked at maths in the holidays
oh the assessment for mx1 tomorrow
hahaha
u are in that accelerant class
so i'll be competing w\ u eh...
bring it on!!

klaw

HSC
hahaha judging from this thread we clearly know who'd win :p

FinalFantasy

HSC
klaw said:
hahaha judging from this thread we clearly know who'd win :p
well u nvr know, i have also neglected preparation for this mx1 test for the holidays...
there's projectile motion in da test and i haven't prepared for dat :vcross:

but today our teacher said that the test is gonna be "easy":)

klaw

HSC
hmm... I think teachers commented that this yr's yr 11 generally work harder than yr 12, and nah... in terms of work I'm below average in the class. Most of them studied in the holidays (they always do, a week or two before assessments), a few cram like I'm doing and a few don't study at all.

Last edited:

FinalFantasy

HSC
klaw said:
hmm... I think teachers commented that this yr's yr 11 generally work harder than yr 12, and nah... in terms of hard work I'm below average in the class. Most of them studied in the holidays (they always do a week or two before assessments), a few cram like I'm doing and a few don't study at all.
hmmm........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)