• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Physical journeys and their challenges. HELP!! (1 Viewer)

hislilducklin

Hey I have an essay to write on physical journeys and the challenges they present. I have to talk about two of Skrynecki's poems and one text from the BOS booklet. I have to discuss these themes and also how they are presneted by techniques. (Choose 3 challenges and relate them to 2 of Skrynecki's poems and the one text).
Can anyone help??!:(

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Well choose the poems first, then maybe we could help a little. Us old schoolers did Change, not Journeys, but I bet we could help :)

Foo Fighter

wellz, u can define journey, and find 2 poems and a text from the bos booklet that've helped u wif ur understanding of the physical journey,

in skrzynecki's poems, he's more or less referring to the emotional obstacles of the journey, crossing the red sea is a good text to use, just use techniques and such to help get ur point across,

Chang

HSC
well in skrzynecki's poem 'migrant hostel', i would guess a challenge to the physical journey is the front gate which acts as a barrier to their freedom (but thats my guess), so barriers pose a challenge to the physical journey. Also in crossing the red sea, time passing is sumthing that is brought up serveral times so time can act as a challenge?

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Hey Skrzynecki...i remember that guy. Well yes, like babydoll said, we did change, but journeys is basically change anyways...so we could be of some help.
Crossing the Red Sea sounds good and maybe also Migrant Hostel i think (i think that's what it's called- the one where he comments on the gates or something).
Anyways, whatever u end up doing, make sure like Foo said, bombard the marker with techniques!!! For techniques: state, give an example (usually quote), and then state how the particular technique shows physical journeys and their challenges. Oh yeah, and make sure when ur doing that last bit, u use bascially the same words as in the question.

Jennibeans

HSC
if you let us know which poems you want to use I have 7 of his poems annotated and am more than happy to share. migrant hostel is a good poem just be careful that what you're saying about it applies to physical journeys because that one can also be related to inner journeys. crossing the red sea would be my first choice. it has a great technique even in the title.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
I just did an essay like that yesterday.

I used 'A drive in the country' and 'Leaving Home' - but i think 'Postcard' would also presents some nice obstilces of you.

With all of his poetry the focus is on the physical journey (the red sea) and then the subsequent poems explore the emotional, inner and haunting effects they have on him. Some of the obsticles are

• Fear of what is left behind - red sea / postcard
  • uncertanity about contination of the journey - drive in country / Immigrants at Central Station (fits well with that)
  • process of the journey and the physical challenges - Red sea (obvious one)
  • Lack of support on physical journey - migrant hostel - u can also mabye compare this with support on the journey and show how its important? that might be off tracking from the question mabye.. U'd have to word it well

As for supplimentary texts.. depending on what u do u could use

- Wind in the Willows; starting the journey, uncertanty, fear of where will lead u
- Ivory Trail - same sort of thing

Hope that helps a bit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)