• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Physics and Biology Practical Test (1 Viewer)

Shuuya

HSC
hmm we may or may not get up to refraction..possibly as there is till 6 weeks left and we have finished sound waves (ch 2/5) already.
We also did the ray box prac for the exam, I'm pretty sure you'll get up to it

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
What to write in discussion and conclusion?
Also how to answer how to make this experiment more accurate/reliable/valid questions?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Also do I need to know any theory content in the prac exam?
soz for the questions haha..im really anxious

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
What to write in discussion and conclusion?
Also how to answer how to make this experiment more accurate/reliable/valid questions?
In discussion write about how the experiment is accurate/reliable/valid
talk about each one, make a judgement to whether it was that or not, and make sure you reference how it could be improved

conclusion
talk about how the aim was fulfilled (dont literally write that)

eg "The experimental value of gravitational acceleration in this experiment was calculated (as stated in the aim) as g≈9.16 ms^(-2). From the results of the experiment it can be determined that in a pendulum motion the period squared is directly proportional to the length of the pendulum. In addition when the inverse gradient of that relationship is multiplied by the coefficient of 4π^2 an experimental value for gravitational acceleration can be obtained. It is therefore evident that if the experiment was repeated with a string smaller than 0.5m, a value for T2 smaller than 1.99 sec would be obtained."

Bascially sum up your results in relation to your aim, and then use the result to make an assertion (read: conclusion) regarding the experiment. as above i make the assertion that based off the results we can say that the square of the period is proportional to the length

about the theory, you probs wont need it to answer any questions BUT you should have a very thorough understanding of it anyways. it helps you spot mistakes and can help you predict specifically what they are looking for with each question

also knowing theory well can often mean you don't even need to do the experiment because you already know what should happen

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
My friend just had a prac for chem and said he had a timeline to do
how would I approach a timeline question if it came in my test?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
My friend just had a prac for chem and said he had a timeline to do
how would I approach a timeline question if it came in my test?
wat

lele what do you mean?

annabelkarenabel

HSC
You will Probably do a prac that you have already done in school, well that is what we did.
In a discussion, first write down what you did in the experiment. Then state the issues you may have faced during the prac and how you solved it or how you could have solved it. Does your results match the hypothesis? If not, why do you think so and how could you alter the experiment to make sure that it does (If applicable).

Here is an example of a conclusion, although it is year 12 work, its the same structure:
Using this experiment, we were able to determine the variables of force, velocity and radius. The experiment designs and results of the experiment are valid as they allowed the hypothesis to be tested with accuracy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)