• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Physics and Chemistry Scaling (1 Viewer)

kt8

HSC
Which one scales better??

I'm doing pretty bad in chemistry and I wanna drop it now so I could spend more time on Physics.. but then I heard that chemistry scales better than physics.. so I'm not sure..

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
1. While Chemistry does scale better than Physics the difference is minimal.
2. You should never choose *just* because of scaling - it wont save you if you crash and burn, whereas dedication to study *can*

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Chemistry has scaled better than physics in the past.
And there isn't much likelihood of that changing this year.

But, you're better off to do a subject that doesn't scale up quite so much and do well than do a high scaling subject and do poorly.
You'll get better marks out of it in the long run.

And don't drop something now! There's what, 5 weeks of school left?!

You might surprise yourself in the HSC exmas and do really well in chemistry. Keep it! You've gotten this far!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Firstly, scaling simply "evens the playing field". No-one is really at and advantage by choosing better scaling subjects. The reason why chemistry scales higher than physics is because it's more difficult for an average student to gain an average ranking in chemistry than in physics...simply because the quality of the chemistry candidature is slightly better than that of the physics candidature.

By selecting chemisty over physics simply because of scaling, you will be doing a great disservice to yourself because it will really be of no benefit to and will most likely be to your detriment. Choose the one you're most interested in. And as Emma-Jayde said, you only have 8 weeks till the HSC. I see little point in dropping one at this stage...just give both a shot - what have you got to lose?

Mat_Aussie

HSC
Keep as many subjects as you can. that way if u crap in one of them u have other subjects to fall back on. you only have to take the best 10 units to contribute to ur UAI. (correct me if i am wrong)

kt8

HSC
Thanks everyone..

but i was thinking if I give up on Chemistry now and spend that time studying for Physics, I might get a better mark for Physics? isn't that better than just do okay for both of them and one of them won't count anyway? I don't know.. :'( thats why i was thinking about the scaling factor..

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Is your Physics mark considerably better than your Chemistry mark at school, overall? If that's the case, then maybe you should drop Chemistry. However, exams can be fickle and sometimes the units you expect to count may not. Having a couple of back-up units doesn't hurt, just as a safety net.

HSC
You probably wouldn't notice the difference unless you got identical 90 in both subjects in which i'd keep both :p novelty

tennille

HSC
It depends on your rank as well. My mark was higher in chem than physics, but I got a higher mark in physics (my rank was better in physics), and I even got scaled down a little for chem- my assesment mark dropped by 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)