physics and GAMSAT (1 Viewer)

clever angel

HSC
Hi guys,

does doing physics like in just 1st semester of 1st yr help in GAMSAT?

is HSC physics enough for gamsat?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You'd probably forget all your first semester physics by the time you come to GAMSAT, so you might as well do something FUN in first year and just study it independently in third year (ie when GAMSAT prepping).

clever angel

HSC
does dat mean we need physics (uni level) knowledge to sit the gamsat?

lexi u sat the umat again in ur 1st yr right? and den transferred to med at UWA?

so u had HD average?

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
yeah i think it is uni level, i went thru some sample papers and it had all this physics junk, i was like wtf as i did hsc physics, but not uni physics yet.

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
Lexicographer said:
You'd probably forget all your first semester physics by the time you come to GAMSAT, so you might as well do something FUN in first year and just study it independently in third year (ie when GAMSAT prepping).
HEY!!! Physics is synonymus with fun.
I looked through a practise paper and could do all the physics questions with my year 12 VCE knowledge, chem questions i could do some of them, and the last time i did biol was like year 9 so i had nfi. But note that it is a practise and probably not idicative of the real exam.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
From the ACER website on the level of knowledge needed for GAMSAT:
The level of subject knowledge required for the Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences section of the test generally corresponds to the first year of university studies in biology and chemistry, and Year 12 in physics. The test focuses primarily on problem solving and on the use of knowledge that will be presumed at the beginning of the medical or dental program: that is, a basic understanding of biology, chemistry (organic and physical) and physics. A student who has mastered these general concepts should have adequate knowledge to answer questions in this section.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
sparkl3z said:
yeah i think it is uni level, i went thru some sample papers and it had all this physics junk, i was like wtf as i did hsc physics, but not uni physics yet.
You're going to fail if you think that is Uni physics. Its just simple year12 physics.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yes i know, i have the practice questions booklet. It's calculation stuff, not that english bs.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
mainly its about understanding the concepts quickly.. and applying it..

but revising before the GAMSAT would prolly be more helpful

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
From what I understand, it's Year 12 Physics, First year Uni Chem and Bio with emphasis on organic Chemistry.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
lol. i went well in hsc physics, i just decided to forget all of it :D. but the papers i did for medicine were not easy, after all it's not umat, so it expects people to have more knowledge after having one degree already.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
there's not many physics question in the gamsat anyway

most of the questions are meant to be biochem/organic chem related

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
Crap, I've got the opposite situation, I'm doing a MedPhys degree and I recently decided that I want to do a MBBS at the end of it. I've finished my first year, but I have not done any bio or chem. I guess I can do them in 3rd and 4th year (doing 10 subjects as it is in 2nd year yay for 1.25 EFTS) ah well, looks like I wont be doing regional or functional anatomy then.

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
You can always study them out of a text book in your own time, this is what I assume Law graduates trying to get into graduate med do.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
acullen said:
Crap, I've got the opposite situation, I'm doing a MedPhys degree and I recently decided that I want to do a MBBS at the end of it. I've finished my first year, but I have not done any bio or chem. I guess I can do them in 3rd and 4th year (doing 10 subjects as it is in 2nd year yay for 1.25 EFTS) ah well, looks like I wont be doing regional or functional anatomy then.
Um

see thats the catch..
if you do regional or functional anatomy ull be a good grad med student.. especially considering the opinions of radiology VMOs about Usyd 2nd yrs..

if you should prolly get a GAMSAT practise paper in 2nd yr.. and like take a look.. and mabbe do a prep course to pull up ure bio..

honestly i dun think its that important but u should try and get stuff lik anatomy done before u start med.. its nice and handy.. cos anatomy takes time.. biochem is more commonsense and not as much time..

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
Um

see thats the catch..
if you do regional or functional anatomy ull be a good grad med student.. especially considering the opinions of radiology VMOs about Usyd 2nd yrs..

if you should prolly get a GAMSAT practise paper in 2nd yr.. and like take a look.. and mabbe do a prep course to pull up ure bio..

honestly i dun think its that important but u should try and get stuff lik anatomy done before u start med.. its nice and handy.. cos anatomy takes time.. biochem is more commonsense and not as much time..
I really would enjoy doing function or regional anatomy, systemic anatomy was a lot of fun (ok, maybe the smell of the formaldehyde wasn't).

I'll try to get a GAMSAT practise paper and see how scary it looks.

Probably my biggest problem would be that I didn't do chemistry or biology for year 11/12; so even the fundementals may seem to be that of an alien language.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmmmm yeah.. umm FYI formaldehyde isnt used anymore..

well i think tats the best way

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
Hmm, there are still hazardous chemicals information placards at the front of the UOW anatomy labs advising of formaldehyde being a Type I carcinogen. Whilst I know of atleast one fresh cadaver that was embalmed using methylated spirits; surely some older specimens would have been embalmed using formaldehyde (seeing some are up to 8 years old)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)