Physics and maths? (1 Viewer)

Atarer

HSC
Would you do well in physics if you are good at maths?

Divinity_

HSC
It's a common mistake people assume that there is alot of maths in Physics. As a matter of fact, Maths in Physics is relatively easy. If you can re-arrange the formula and sub numbers in then you're good to go. Physics is relatively more concept based than maths based. Although, yes there are still some maths questions.

Last edited:

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Yes, this is the reason i suck at both. Though some people are going to come on here and tell you that the maths in physics is easy. If you're good at maths you are likely to be good at physics.

marts

HSC
An understanding of maths is needed for some questions/concepts eg einsteins relativity apart from some simple rearrainging there isn't much

Quick question is the extension maths projectile motion accepted in physics or must the formula be used

Divinity_

HSC
An understanding of maths is needed for some questions/concepts eg einsteins relativity apart from some simple rearrainging there isn't much

Quick question is the extension maths projectile motion accepted in physics or must the formula be used
Well, it's basically the same thing isn't it?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
It's a common mistake people assume that there is alot of maths in Physics. As a matter of fact, Maths in Physics is relatively easy. If you can re-arrange the formula and sub number in then you're good to go. Physics is relatively more concept base than maths based. Although, yes there are still some maths questions.
I believe this applies only to courses like NSW HSC Physics. In general you can't be good in physics without being good in maths. So the local HSC Physics may lead one to such a misleading conclusion. In fact some posters have even cited cases of students doing Physics with only General Maths; no way such students can realistically proceed to doing physics at uni.

Last edited:

marts

HSC
Well, it's basically the same thing isn't it?
Not really semings though physics gives you set formulas and extension you dirive them yourself, the understanding in the maths is greater as well and easier to apply once learnt

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
They are the same thing. The physics formulas that you get just automate the process used in extension maths.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Assumed level of mathematics in Year 11 and 12 physics is Year 10 maths.
End of story.

At 1st year university physics the assumed level is HSC Mathematics but they work with mathematics at Extension 2 level often.

Question answered.
Thanks HSC 2009'ers.

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
In the HSC, not necessarily. The HSC Physics course is very light on mathematics. Engineering Science is much more focussed on maths (like the old physics course)

If you decide to undertake a science / engineering degree at university level, then yes you need to be good at maths (and understand it!) in order to do well in the subjects at university.

1st year university level maths in science / engineering is equivalent to Ext.1 - Ext.2 (except the statistics bit)
2nd year university level maths in Science / Engineering is more like 6u Maths if you do a physics course.

I should scan up some of my questions and answers from one of the subjects I did (68413 quantum physics @ UTS)

Some of the questions would take 4-5 pages of working to get an answer. And i have small writing

Divinity_

HSC
Not really semings though physics gives you set formulas and extension you dirive them yourself, the understanding in the maths is greater as well and easier to apply once learnt
What you derived is exactly the same thing LOL .

y = -(gt^2)/2 + Vtsintheta is the same as deltay = Uyt + 1/2*ayt^2

Denn

HSC
Maths - Involves manipulation of formulas and concepts
Physics - Understanding a general concept and applying it to everyday things

Thats MY definition :)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Maths - Involves manipulation of formulas and concepts
Physics - Understanding a general concept and applying it to everyday things

Thats MY definition :)
Your physics definition sucks. You're defining not physics, but engineering.

Try applying the Standard Model to everyday occurrences lol.

Divinity_

HSC
Your physics definition sucks. You're defining not physics, but engineering.

Try applying the Standard Model to everyday occurrences lol.
When we slam our hand on the table, it's called by EM forces ?

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
In high school. Not really. But you need some decent knowledge in terms of Mathematics. Trig .. umm, and that other stuff. If you decide to take physics to University, then it becomes quite interesting how mathematics complements. My physics teacher told me that the mathematics involved with university physics is insane. Apparently Einsteins equations were longgggg.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
The maths involved in HSC physics is almost non-existent. So long as you can substite and rearrange equations you'll be fine.

But in uni (where you'll learn actual physics), you'll need an extremely strong foundation in maths :)

HSC
In my school we have 17 people doing physics, around 10 people of that 17 do mathematics or 3unit maths, the top 7 physics students do mathematics or 3unit mathematics

Im pretty sure the rest of the class maybe except 1, do general maths
The entire lower quartile of the physics class are general maths/ no maths students

@ my school people who are good at maths are good at physics
guy who is rank first in maths and also rank 1st at physics

There is maths in physics but its all easy maths, maybe not projectile motion idk

my school is weird

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
In my school we have 17 people doing physics, around 10 people of that 17 do mathematics or 3unit maths, the top 7 physics students do mathematics or 3unit mathematics

Im pretty sure the rest of the class maybe except 1, do general maths
The entire lower quartile of the physics class are general maths/ no maths students

@ my school people who are good at maths are good at physics
guy who is rank first in maths and also rank 1st at physics

There is maths in physics but its all easy maths, maybe not projectile motion idk

my school is weird
Or perhaps the general stereotype could explain this - people who do general maths are slow and people who don't do maths at all are creative (a nice way of saying they're illogical) so they suck at physics. Just kidding XD

Anyway, the peep coming 2nd in physics only does 3U maths while the peep coming 3rd does 4U maths at my school. So perhaps it's not just whether you're good at maths but how much time you put into the subject?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)