Physics any one? (1 Viewer)

Sammmmmuel

Who the hell can explain how doped semi conductors carry "holes" and electrons? i know the difference btwn p type (holes) and n type (excess electrons) but how does that junction thing work and how does solid state resistor work?

(I suspect this question will never be answered but i thought it was worth a try)

Huy

HSC
N/A
I would explain it, but it's late :(
I'm not in the Physics frame of mind atm, too.

(my way of saying I'm just lazy right now, and sleepy)

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by Huy
I'm not in the Physics frame of mind atm, too.
when did i say i'm not up for physics, i just dont know if i can explain it right now.

in my last post i meant that maybe if you post this in the physics section, then perhaps someone else may answer to this post.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Yes.... try the physics section Sammmmmuel *yawn*
Most physics geeks would tell you in an instant...
As for me, im off 2 bed :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Rahul
when did i say i'm not up for physics, i just dont know if i can explain it right now.

in my last post i meant that maybe if you post this in the physics section, then perhaps someone else may answer to this post.
I think you've misunderstood me, Rahul.
I know that your post referred to the Section that this thread had been posted in.

I was talking about myself :)

Originally posted by Huy
I would explain it, but it's late :(
I'm not in the Physics frame of mind atm, too. (my way of saying I'm just lazy right now, and sleepy)
Note, "I'm not in the Physics frame of mind atm, too" directly follows straight after "I would explain it, but it is late". ;)

I meant to say:

"I would explain it, but it is too late (looks at the time). I'm not thinking about Physics at the moment, as well, which is why I can't/won't be able to help"

I didn't say "Rahul is not up to physics, therefore I am not up to physics too/also" -- See? :)

I would be able to explain it, if I was revising for Physics and if it weren't so late. I didn't misinterpret your post at all :)

Rahul

Dead Member
oh my gosh! huy... hahahah this is a real shimmozzle(sp?)

i should have included the likes of ;) and :p when i said, when did i say i'm not up for physics, i just dont know if i can explain it right now.

when i initially posted, maybe if you put it in the physics section i thought that maybe samuel would get the idea that he would only get help if he posted in physics. i meant that he will have a better chance of 'scoring' if this stuff was in the relevant section.:D

then you said, that you werent in the frame of mind for physics "too", which as i interepreted was implying that i wasnt up to physics, which is correct, esp for this question.

just a bad sarcastic post.:p

*note to self- more emoticons*;)

hmm....maybe we should think about helping our friend samuel here:)

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by Sammmmmuel
Who the hell can explain how doped semi conductors carry "holes" and electrons? i know the difference btwn p type (holes) and n type (excess electrons) but how does that junction thing work and how does solid state resistor work?
okay, in an attempt to answer your question after last night's appaling posts:).

hmmm...actually i cant find a dot-point relating to that question. perhaps i have missed it, can you point it out.
i have a slight feeling it isnt really in the ammended syllabus.

as far as the dot points state, i know the difference btwn p type (holes) and n type (excess electrons), that is all you need to know.

but post up the relevant section if you think it is in the syllabus.

Sammmmmuel

Originally posted by Rahul
post up the relevant section if you think it is in the syllabus.

-Describe the difference between solid state and thermionic devices...

Solid state devices are the ones with a p-n junction but i dont understand the moving hole and electron thing in the solid state devices... If you could explain it in a way i could understand it would probably be not helpful but if someone could make an attempt please?

Last edited:

Rahul

Dead Member
ok i'll give it a crack.

thermionic devices worked by the heat(thermo) being generated in an evacuated tube. once the cathode was heated to a certain level, it would start to emit electrons. the cathode would have to connected in a separate circuit.
the difference between that and the solid state devices is that solid state devices use the p-n junction to generate an electron flow.

-----[====][oooo]-----

the p-n junction would be like so, with the ='s replresenting the extra electrons in the n-type semiconductor and o' represent the 'holes' in the p-type semiconductor.
the electrons from the n-type 'jump' into the positive holes (positive because of the fact that there is a lack of an electron there). now as the electrons from the n-type move into the holes in the p-type, the electrons will move into the holes left behind by the 'jumping' before. and the trend continues...

hmmm, not the greatest of explainations:)

edit/ you might want to read up on the solar cells. they function in the same manner.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)