Physics assessments help!!! (1 Viewer)

jzouy

HSC
Hey just wondering if anyone can give me some help on the following.. thx..

1) analyse the contribution that Goddard had to the development of space..

2) exaplai how transmission line are:
- insulated from suporting structures.

- protected from lighting strikes.

3) analyse secondary information on the competition between Westinghouse and Edison to supply electricity to cities.

any information would greatly appreciated..

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Re: Westinghouse & edison???

Hey just wondering if anyone have any information on the competition between Westinghouse and Edison to supply electricity to cities.

thx guys..
What? Is this really part of HSC physics?

Last edited:

badquinton304

HSC

Sadly, yes. It seems like more of a history lesson than actual physics, then you have these bullshit 5, 6, 7 mark questions on how X in physics has effected society and the environment. Its one thing to make english compulsory but keep politics and the arts out of physics, chemistry and mathematics.

coq

HSC
Re: Goddard???

hey there...

• Goddard was the first person to prove that rockets would work in a vacuum and did not require air "to push against" to provide propulsion.
  • He published in 1919, proposing that a rocket could reach the moon, he analyse the energy yield and thrust per unit mass of varous fuels and developed a rocket motor that could use liquid fuels and liquid oxygen
  • In 1926, he successfully launched the first liquid propellant rocket (there were previous rockets but they used solid fuels), it reached an altitude of 57m and a speed of 97kn.h-1
  • in 1929, he sent up the first intrument carrying rocket. Over his career he accumulated over 200 rocketing related patents
  • His work was utilised by German scientists in the development of their wartime rockets...
Hope there is something in there you can use
:)

jzouy

HSC
who is Robert Esnault-Pelterie???

hey

does anyone know or have information on french aircraft designer Robert Esnault-Pelterie??

if u do pleasessss let me know..

thx

Byelir

HSC
Well Jay Zou i think a lot of hard work and much research will help u on this occasion casue im not going to good myself

study-freak

Bored of
HSC

It's all because of those people who studied history and philosophy of science (NOT a real science) in uni changing science curricula by getting a job in Boardofstudies.

P!xel

The lazy one.
HSC
Re: Yr 12 physic help!!

I don't know about question 1, but here's my attempts at question 2 and 3.

2) Explain how transmission line are:
- insulated from supporting structures.

Transmission lines generally carry high amounts of voltage, and since metallic structures are cheaper than timber ones, we must insulate the transmission lines and its' supporting structure.

If you have a look carefully next time you see a transmission line structure, you will notice the circular disks that are on the arms of the metallic arms that hold the cables.

These circular disks are in fact ceramic disks, and since ceramic is an absolute insulator, it prevents electricity from jumping from the transmission line to the metallic structure (however this does not apply on moist / humid days, as electricity jumps longer distances with the presence of water molecules).

- protected from lighting strikes.

All (or most) transmission line carrying structure has an extra wire. This extra wire is placed on the peak of the structure, and connects with every peak of the next structure. At the end of the wire, it is guided into earth, hence the name earth wire.

When the lightning strikes the peak of the structure, the electricity is passed on into the earth wire, and is safely guided to the ground.

The presence of an earth wire prevents an excess surge of electricity passing through transmission wires.

3) Analyze secondary information on the competition between Westinghouse and Edison to supply electricity to cities.

I believe there is an abundance of topics relating to Westinghouse vs Edison on the forums.
Here's one:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/264/motors-generators/16970/westinghouse-vs-edison.html
Basically, you need to outline the methods which Westinghouse and Edison used to convince the general public that their type of electricity (AC vs DC, respectively) was better.

This is generally the history part of Motors and Generators, so all the work in this dot point is theory.

Good luck!
- P!xel

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)