Physics Assignment (1 Viewer)

Entity

HSC
Hi all, i just wanted to draw in some help. I have an assignment that's meant to include f=ma. I thought launching a water pressure powered rocket would be awesome, but few problems.

Problem One, no idea what to make the aim as.

Problem Two, calculating acceleration. I have no idea how i would calculate the acceleration.

And;

Problem Three, As the water pressure is released, the mass would decrease, changing everything.

So, can anyone solve these problems for me? Any help would be much appreciated.

K

khorne

Water rockets is a more...year 12 styled assignment.

However...I don't think this illustrates f=ma as well as you would like...water rockets shows the conservation of momentum more and ties in with projectile motion.

A good experiment might be to tie a mass around a pulley and attach it to a small car. This mass, hanging down, will provide the force, in terms of F = mg (g = 9.8m/s/s). You could show how adding mass to the car itself (not the pulley) reduces acceleration (because mg is still the same), or by taking weights off from the pulley, you could show how a smaller force produces a smaller acceleration with the same mass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Entity

HSC
Hrm, i just thought it'd be awesome. Any suggestions to what i could do? I dont really want to drop things from a height...

I will if i have to though :/

K

khorne

I put a suggestion up there...It's kind of hard to understand so i will draw a diagram.

Entity

HSC
LOL sorry i didnt see it, but a diagram would be awesome. Thanks for helping out.

Entity

HSC
Thanks a lot, you've been a great help. One last thing, for aim, would this be suitable?

To find the force needed for the vehicle (car thingy - dunno what else to call it) to pull up the weights.

Edit: How About:

to determine the effects of mass on the acceleration of an object

If not suitable, could you suggest another aim, or fix up the one i have? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)