Physics help (1 Viewer)

Real Madrid

HSC
Does anyone have some solid info on these physics dot points?

• Gather and process information to interpret the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment.
  • Discuss the role of the Michealson-Morley experiments in making determinations about competing theories.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Wrong place.

From my own knowledge
First point: Pretty much, you need to know that the experiment was trying to detect "Aether Wind". You need to know what the Aether is, why the model was suggested, why a wind is created, how the experiment detects this Aether wind and stuff. This WILL include revising a bit on the refraction/diffraction of waves, and how light creates an interference pattern when it's not in phase.
Second point: Well, the experiment produced a null result. G.G. It seemed Aether wind could not be detected, and it suggested a revision to the Aether Model, or for the model to be discarded completely. Einstein then came in with his own theories, which made the Aether model redundant. HOWEVER, Einstein claimed that the Michelson-Morley experiment had nothing to do with the creation of his own theories.

And I can't think of anything else, in particular

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
The aim wasn't to detect aether wind, it was to measure the velocity of the Earth through it - the so called absolute frame of reference.

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
Does anyone have some solid info on these physics dot points?
  • Gather and process information to interpret the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment.
- Tried to measure the speed of Earth relative to the aether.
- No change in interference pattern detected (null result).
- Thought null result meant equipment not sensitive enough.
  • Discuss the role of the Michealson-Morley experiments in making determinations about competing theories.
- Helped Einstein see the aether model as superfluous, and some proof that the speed of light = constant (no change in interference pattern). This leads on to relativity, which I can't be bothered explaining.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)