Physics marathon 2011 (1 Viewer)

InVinsanity

HSC
Describe the principle of relativity?

The principle of relativity states that it would be impossible to determine wether an object is stationary or traveling at constant velocity without the reference of an external point. Think of einsteins train thought experiment where the train is traveling at c and he is looking at the mirror, if he can't see his image then that would tell him he is traveling at c, which would violate the principle Of relativity.

Describe the main features of a dc motor and the role of each feature

taeyang

HSC
DC Motor -

Rotor - The rotor of a DC motor is a coil with 'n' turns to act as a current carrying conductor, providing the current and therefore torque on the coil
Stator - The stator of a DC motor consists of either a pair of permanent or electromagnets to provide the magnetic field that cuts the plane of the coil, in turn producing the torque
Split Ring Commutator - It's job is to change the direction of the flow of current through the rotor every half rotation so as to keep a one-directional flow
Brushes - The brushes of a DC motor deliver the current from the external power-source and circuit by "brushing" against the split ring commutator, providing a complete circuit
External Power Source or External EMF - This is the blood and bones of the operation, the power source provides the EMF to the coil via batteries or a cell.

The transistor is used in communication and entertainment devices across the world, explain what device the transistor replaced and why by refering to the effects on both society and the environment - From something similar to 2009

Last edited:

Uzername

B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D.
HSC
The transistor is used in communication and entertainment devices across the world, explain what device the transistor replaced and why by refering to the effects on both society and the environment - From something similar to 2009
- The transistor replaced the thermionic device. Although both are used for the same purpose (amplifying a signal or 'electrical switching'), the transistor replaced the thermionic device for many reasons: it is cheaper, smaller & lightweight, requires less power, has a longer life and is more durable.

Effects on society:
- transistors are much faster than their thermionic counterparts. They require no 'warm-up' time at all and operate efficiently.
- Transistors have been implemented in microchips and microprocessors, offering untold advantages for society, hence replacing the thermionic device. Transistors have allowed for the building of small, compact and lightweight computers that could never be achieved with thermionic devices. Computers are now part of our everyday life, they have enormous applications: at home (e.g. computer), in education (e.g. calculator), etc. A higher quality of life is a result from the invention of the transistor. Tasks that were once done manually are now simply automated with microchips/processors.

Effects on environment
- Large-scale thermionic devices can heat up to very high temperatures, leading to a small degree of thermal pollution. However, the use of transistors in microchips/processors, leading to the huge applications we have today (computers & electronic devices) obviously draw a lot of power (fossil fuels) leading to negative environmental impacts.

Next question:
Saturn's equatorial rotation period is 10.23 Earth hours. Its mass is kg and its equatorial radius is 60268 km.

What would be the orbital radius of a satellite that moved in a 'geostationary' orbit around Saturn?

elbatiolpxeho

HSC
NEW QUESTION:
A piece of space junk of Mass M drops from rest from a position of 30,000km from the Earth's centre. Calculate the final speed it attains when it reaches an altitude of 1000km above the earth's surface. Assume air resistance is negligible. The radius of the earth is 6.37x10^6m

cant remember where i got this question from

This loss in gravitational potential energy is transformed into kinetic energy.

nazfiz

HSC
With what velocity must a metal ball be projected vertically to reach a maximum height of 100m? How long will it take to reach this height?

Can someone help me with this question?
thanks

jamesfirst

HSC
With what velocity must a metal ball be projected vertically to reach a maximum height of 100m? How long will it take to reach this height?

Can someone help me with this question?
thanks

v^2=u^2 +2as

v = 0 (object comes at rest for a while before coming back down)

0 = u^2 - 2 x 9.8 x 100

u = 44.27 m/s

-----------------

v = u + at

0 = 44.27 - 9.8t

t = 4.52 s

Uzername

B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D.
HSC
Workings on paper but is this correct?

50681km above the surface.
Nah sorry lol, the answer is 109,000km. I don't get how to do the question either, if someone could explain that'd help.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
what the ....
Not familiar with the syllabus?

 process information to identify some of the metals, metal alloys and compounds that have been identified as exhibiting the property of superconductivity and their critical temperatures

Straight from the syllabus mate

taeyang

HSC

 process information to identify some of the metals, metal alloys and compounds that have been identified as exhibiting the property of superconductivity and their critical temperatures

I think it's the bit from your last post that says "identify some of the metal, metal alloys and compounds", I mean the 's' was off the end of metal but it really doesn't matter we should've picked it up

jamesfirst

HSC

I have it in my notes but I never memorised them cos they're too long.

I have never seen it appear in the exam. lol

DNETTZ

Camp-italist Fatcat
HSC
Name a metal, metal alloy and a ceramic superconductor and identify their critical temperatures

Metal - Lead - superconducting at 7K
Alloy - Nickel-titanium - Superconducting below 23K
Ceramic - YBaCuO - Superconducting at temperatures below 77k.

I pose a physics history question for 6 marks.

'Einstein laid the groundwork for solar cells as a viable possible energy source'

With reference to the photoelectric effect and the physical properties of metals, assess the validity of this statement.

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)