• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Physics Nightmare (1 Viewer)

rama_v

HSC
I hope so. Physics is the subject I've put most work into the whole year (besides maths), so I'm hoping for a good result..Plus I love the subject :D

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
rama_v said:
I hope so. Physics is the subject I've put most work into the whole year (besides maths), so I'm hoping for a good result..Plus I love the subject :D
yeah seems to be way better than chemistry!!!!!

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I think i might be shy of a band 6. so hopefully i get a high band 5

lil_lou88

jeez guys ur high level of confidence just plummeted mine to the ground. chemistry is my WORST subject no matter how hard i try at it ... how do u guys do so good?

lil_lou88

sorry meant physics ... its been a long morning of chemistry studying... kinda got mixed up

MuffinMan

HSC
edit: i like physics more but i seem to be better at chem
used to be the other way around
(like physics more, do better at physics, but that was prelim course, oh well) lol

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Physics is gay and it must die, worst mistake I ever made, wish I'd dropped it, etc.

So.. who knows?

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
haha yeah physics is really gay when you can't seem to get the marks in assessments. I wanted to drop it so much in the first 2 terms, but eventually i got my act together, studied, got tutored a little bit, and starting understanding the concepts and how they related to pracs and other concepts. and yeah, i like physics now (sorta) :D

MuffinMan

HSC
haha well gud luck...i cant wait till chem is over, then phys and then freedom lol
and yeah the eels rocks! hehe

LostAuzzie

HSC
As with Chemistry, i'm hoping for a Band 6 in Physics, since they are so close together ive been studying both simultaneously. Fairly ready for it, just going to do practice papers now

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
HSC Physics is terrible, syllabus is very hollow. Then again, I'm confident for a band 6, I came 1st in my school so that's a start. Then again, I came 1st for chem and I'm dreading that exam. :(

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Dumsum said:
HSC Physics is terrible, syllabus is very hollow. Then again, I'm confident for a band 6, I came 1st in my school so that's a start. Then again, I came 1st for chem and I'm dreading that exam. :(
What do you mean by 'hollow'?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
What do you mean by 'hollow'?
I mean it's as if they're teaching us just a shell of what there is to know. "Here's this, accept it at face value" without any real proof of what's going on. My teacher used to tell us about how 'back in the day' physics actually required mathematical ability, not ability to memorise answers on the issues surrounding science and politics.

Basically what I mean is, there's no guts to the course. They teach us E = mc^2, and that's it. A few months ago I watched a dramatised documentary explaining how this formula came about, and I was absolutely fascinated. Instead, the HSC course just gives it to us.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Dumsum said:
I mean it's as if they're teaching us just a shell of what there is to know. "Here's this, accept it at face value" without any real proof of what's going on. My teacher used to tell us about how 'back in the day' physics actually required mathematical ability, not ability to memorise answers on the issues surrounding science and politics.
I have a textbook for the old physics course, it consists of almost 100% mechanics, at a difficulty similar to that of 2 Unit maths.

If the HSC course attempted to provide 'proof' of its content, then it would only be accessible to 4 unit maths students who had already completed the 3 unit course by the end of year 11. The course attempts to provide knowledge of the concepts that may be addressed by students studying physics at university; compare the course content to this Physics subject that I will be doing next year. It gives you the background so that you are familiar with the concepts.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I wouldn't have minded if i had another 2U worth of maths :D

DeanM

HSC
as much as i enjoy physics, and it is my best subject, i do agree with Dumsum... we are only told the facts and are expected to memorise how it and accept it.
take the BCS theory : i can write down what my text books say, but i have no idea HOW it works, and WHY it works...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)