Physics Olympiad (1 Viewer)

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Did anyone do this in year 9-11? How was it, how much did you study, and how hard is it to make the camp/team? Any general advice?

I did it last year (year 10) with cramming only the morning before. There was only one question that I could actually answer because of my "studying", and it was a multiple choice electricity one. For the rest, I made it all up - I know it wasn't right, but I'm considered to be pretty good at Maths, so that really helped. If I say so myself, even though it was sort of "fake" reasoning, I put up a great fight, and actually ended up running out of time (one poly-part question was only half-answered, unfortunately). I ended up with a Distinction, which I still think is a good result, considering the circumstacnces.

I plan to really study hard this year, so does anyone have any useful advice? By the way, I've heard that making the team will earn one 1st year university credit and a $2000 scholarship. I don't know if the scholarship part is true, though. Good luck to anyone else who's planning on trying any Olympiads this year.

A l

HSC
N/A
187 said:
Did anyone do this in year 9-11? How was it, how much did you study, and how hard is it to make the camp/team?
Very hard. Usually in this state it is students from James Ruse Agricultural High School that make the team. In particular, a guy called Harry Yan from James Ruse Agricultural High School did it in Year 10 and did it again in Year 11 and made all three qualifying teams. The questions asked are of university level so a great understanding of the Preliminary and HSC course is required as a foundation.

1OO%

HSC
I did it last yr
and just skimmed through the hsc textbooks
managed a High D
so i reckon it wasnt all that hard

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Yeah I did it last year, Didn't do any study at all because I had no idea what to study
Pulled out a High Distinction also (probably could have got better if I didnt misread the last question and sit there for 20 min)
So it aint that hard.......Or I think I just lucked out major style
good luck all

clonestar

Physicist/*******
HSC
N/A
I had a student who received a distinction in the 2005 Physics Olympiad.

My advice don't do it just for fun. You really should be gifted and have an ability to decipher copious amounts of paragraphs quickly.

Your knowledge of Physics needs to be succint.

Only a select amount of students should sit for this exam.

I usually have one or maybe two students every year but thats about it.

Enjoy

Good Luck to all 2006 PHYSICS students..

Pubert

HSC
My teacher mentioned the highest physics class sitting for the exam, but didnt go in depth with information and stuff i think its a bit early :S.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
What UNI/HSC textbooks do u guys recommend? Does anyone know where i can get past chem and physics olympiad papers, questions and solutions from?

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
If I could recommend any first year Physics book it would be:
"Physics for Scientists and Engineers - Extended Edition" by Tipler and Mosca

It's a bit of a brick, from memory being ~1400 A4 pages, but it covers more than you would ever need to know for some high school contest and it looks good on the shelf ;).

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
The test is called the NQE (National Qualifying Exam).
Certificates are given out for C, D, HD and a medal for whoever tops each state.
Top 25 students are invited to the January Scholar School.

Ideally, each school is meant to send in their top few students.
However, for schools like Ruse, exceptions are made since there seem to be a constant inflow of talent from there, judging from past NQE results.

The NQE is not meant to test very much beyond high school physics. All the stuff you will have encountered in junior high school will be tested. A bit of mechanics, a bit of optics, a bit of electromagnetism... More than anything, it is a test that is meant to show up which students are the best at tackling hairy problems. The Olympiads are not about "who knows the most physics", but "who can make the best use of their physics knowledge in applying it to bastarldly tricky problems".

Having said that, if you really do want to go nuts with a uni textbook, by all means. The official one used at the camp is PHYSICS (Halliday, Resnick & Krane) but these can get very hardcore very quickly, so I'd suggest maybe checking out a library and flicking through stuff until u find sth u like.

Past papers... you could look through the ASO website:
http://www.aso.edu.au/www/index.cfm
Though I'd honestly doubt it...

And finally:
Gaining Easy Marks in the NQE
  • Use WORDS to explain what you are doing / why you are using that particular formula
  • Try to explain things using physical laws
  • But don't waffle on... Please be considerate towards the markers!!
  • Think about your answers and if they make sense
  • Make sure your UNITS are correct

Have fun and good luck.
Lots of love.
-y.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
187 said:
By the way, I've heard that making the team will earn one 1st year university credit and a $2000 scholarship. I don't know if the scholarship part is true, though. Good luck to anyone else who's planning on trying any Olympiads this year.
Making the team* will guarantee a cheque from the government. Just off the top of my head I think it's $2000 (?)... It's the same amount you would get if u got 100 UAI.
Different unis treat scholar school graduates differently. I know it's easier to enter a program like USyd's Adv Sci Talented Students Program (TSP) and also ANU's PhB degree (Bachelor of philosophy). And there are scholarships offered by many unis. But you'd have to go to the uni website and have a look.

*team = representing Australia, NOT scholar school. Top 25 go scholar school. Top 8 go APhO (Asian Phys Olymp), Top 5 go IPhO (International Phys Olymp).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah and there is lik 1 cute girl that use to tutor physics at the camp so im told :)

vizman

HSC
a guy at my school got a HD in the physics olympiad, he is a friggin genius, he's in my year (11) and and the same time he is doing a B.Sc at uni

Gowr

HSC
Ive done this, and let me tell you (For anyone thinking of doing this next year)...

DONT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO WORK

Okay, you should give it a try, but beware...

Even if you don't study afterwards you will have to go through two weeks of lectures , tutorials and pracs, and will essentially cover most of first year uni. It is not for the lighthearted, and I would that anyone not doing 4u would have extreme difficulty (Although math is supposedly kept to a 'minimum')

If you do have 'the right stuff', you will be in for two weeks of 'enjoyable' learning with other extremely intelligent students and will be in for a rewarding experience.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ said:
Making the team* will guarantee a cheque from the government. Just off the top of my head I think it's $2000 (?)... It's the same amount you would get if u got 100 UAI.
*team = representing Australia, NOT scholar school. Top 25 go scholar school. Top 8 go APhO (Asian Phys Olymp), Top 5 go IPhO (International Phys Olymp).
I'm afraid you have to win a medal as well to get that $2000.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)