Physics option topics (1 Viewer)

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
Does the school have to cater for all option topics in the trial exam?

My school only offers to teach Q2Q or Astrophysics, which is fair enough. They say we can learn another option topic by ourselves but they will not put a question for it in the trial exam.. are they allowed to do this?

A few of us have approached the head teacher but were given stupid reasons about why they wont put a question in, like they are "not qualified to mark it" etc.

I'm pretty pissed off. I'm not the only one who wants to do The Age of Silicon as we have already learnt half of it in Software Design and Development.

passion89

HSC
That's really weird...why wont they put all option topics up or at least age of silicon seeing as more of you have expressed an interest in it.
I understand though that they probably have no idea how to mark it...the teachers at my school only know info on quanta to quarks and astrophysics and wont even attempt answering questions from the other option topics.

lilman

HSC
well even though you can learn one yourself its better doing the questions that you have done in class, but they still should have all the options in it regardless

michaeln36

HSC
Yes very interesting dillema.
I would hazard a guess that they HAVE to provide each option topic in your trial examination, regardless to whether it was taught or not, or whether anyone is going to attempt it or not.
I went on the boardofstudies website to try and see if that HAD to.. but couldn't find anything. Im sure you will find ur answer somewhere.

felixcthecat

HSC
since michael has attempted BOS, i won't bother ^^' but if your school is teaching an elective, unless they can't teach- i.e. don't give you practice questions and don't know what they're saying- it would be better to stick to what the school has been teaching for the past years because hopefully they would know the important bits and be more familiar with the marking scheme in exam questions.

... although i guess it's up to your own decision at the end, but i don't think it's a pleasent idea to learn a whole HSC topic yourself with no aid from 'professional' teaching staff~

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
Thanks for the advice guys,

I was thinking about ringing the Board of Studies to ask them, but I'm pretty sure since the trial is a school assessment that they can put (or exclude) whatever they want in it :(

I've started learning Q2Q at my physics tutoring place, however I can't get into a class that's teaching it at school! (frustrates me even more) so I have to rely on my tutoring.

passion89

HSC
If you really want to, maybe you can learn age of silicon for the HSC exams just after the trials. Though, that's not advisable seeing as there's only a month or so to go between trials and HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)