Physics or Chemistry (1 Viewer)

marauder7

HSC
Which science between Physics and Chemistry requires more rote-learning capability yet also goes along with Modern History and Biology. I do plan on doing two sciences with modern and just wondering which one would be best to pick in terms of juggling content and difficulty. Bio is pretty easy and I love Modern but between Physics and Chemistry; I'm stuck. I think I prefer physics but I have Neuroscience or cell pathology in mind for major in uni. Chemistry seems to be more broad whilst the Physics seems to be quite directional...just wondering which one has more content and which ones lean towards rote and humanities. Also in applying maths, if you are only a 2unit maths person, which one would be sensible in taking; bio + chem OR bio + phys

I97

HSC
I'd say chemistry has more 'rote-learning capability' although you still have to understand the concepts behind it. Physics has more maths in it but for a 2unit person that's fine, people do physics with general maths. Have a look at the syllabus for both courses and see which interests you more. It's better to pick the one you feel like you would enjoy more and do better in. From what i've heard, neither is as content-heavy as bio but you have to understand the concepts fully in order to succeed in either.

liamlolz

HSC
I agree with what others have said above. Physics is extremely mathematical and involves very little rote learning.

skillstriker

HSC
I'd say Chemistry involves more rote-learning whereas Physics involves more applied questions and calculations

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I did phys and chem for prelims

I'd say physics has only slightly more maths involved. That said, that whole "physics is just maths" perception is completely incorrect, there is lots of writing in physics. Personally, i found chem more interesting, and decided to pick it over physics. I also found chemistry maths problems more enjoyable than physics problems.

Chem also scales better, overlaps with Bio in some areas, and overlaps with your desired uni courses more than physics does.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I would advise you to choose Chemistry since it would complement much more with the major you intend to undertake in university, is there a particular reason why you are not intending to major in a physics related area even though you seem to be leaning more towards physics. To be honest, although Physics does involve a lot more calculations then Chemistry, you can still ace it if you work hard despite being a 2 unit maths person-in any subject, the difficulty is subjective, if you enjoy the subject enough, you will find a way to ace in that subject through your passion and perseverance. May you end up with the best decision for yourself:)

marauder7

HSC
I would advise you to choose Chemistry since it would complement much more with the major you intend to undertake in university, is there a particular reason why you are not intending to major in a physics related area even though you seem to be leaning more towards physics. To be honest, although Physics does involve a lot more calculations then Chemistry, you can still ace it if you work hard despite being a 2 unit maths person-in any subject, the difficulty is subjective, if you enjoy the subject enough, you will find a way to ace in that subject through your passion and perseverance. May you end up with the best decision for yourself:)
Haha thank you very much for that advice, really appreciate it!
The reason I'm so confuse is cause my mother is a physics teacher and marker - so the benefits of taking it would be great but I'm also looking at my own capability: English/history/bio person...so picking between the two is difficult as I'm really trying to balance it out with my history, 3 unit English and the fact that I'm not "brilliant" at maths. Chemistry looks like it will ultimately help me more, but the whole "history of physics" in the physics is something id probably ace. So between the two: really looking down at which one has more inclination towards the essays and humanities based skills that is rote. Since I kinda enjoy studying aha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)