• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Physics Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

abelsj01

HSC
why can't u find the find using change in GPE ie dU = GMm(1/ri-1/rf)
idk u probs can but i had to learn the whole syllabus over two days so my knowledge defo isnt the best but as far as the r value in calculations is it r = altitude of orbit + radius of earth or just r = altitude of orbit?

carrotsss

HSC
idk u probs can but i had to learn the whole syllabus over two days so my knowledge defo isnt the best but as far as the r value in calculations is it r = altitude of orbit + radius of earth or just r = altitude of orbit?
it’s because they said radius in the question, you’d add them if they said altitude

Jimmwhitt

HSC
it’s because they said radius in the question, you’d add them if they said altitude
Wouldn't it be the other way around? Considering altitude is distance above the surface and radius is distance from the centre of the Earth.

carrotsss

HSC
Wouldn't it be the other way around? Considering altitude is distance above the surface and radius is distance from the centre of the Earth.
what I was saying is the radius is just the radius, whereas the radius when you’re given altitude is altitude+earth radius

abelsj01

HSC
does anyone recognise the double slit formula x = λL/d? i can't find it on any hsc resource but i was taught it earlier this year from my teacher. all i can find is dsintheta = mλ or dsintheta = (m+1/2)λ. is that formula just a derivation of one of the two other formulas?

Hudz777

HSC
does anyone recognise the double slit formula x = λL/d? i can't find it on any hsc resource but i was taught it earlier this year from my teacher. all i can find is dsintheta = mλ or dsintheta = (m+1/2)λ. is that formula just a derivation of one of the two other formulas?
think about what sintheta actually is…
for small angles, sintheta approximately is equal to tantheta, so we just say it’s the fringe separation on the length. then you get your formula xx

abelsj01

HSC
think about what sintheta actually is…
for small angles, sintheta approximately is equal to tantheta, so we just say it’s the fringe separation on the length. then you get your formula xx
true but it becomes less and less accurate as the angle gets bigger so is there not a better way for those instances?

Hudz777

HSC
true but it becomes less and less accurate as the angle gets bigger so is there not a better way for those instances?
mmm, not sure tbh, that’s just what i was taught, good question though

HSC
what were the 2 postulates from plancks discovery?
planks postulates are that energy is absorbed and emitted in discrete packets called quanta with the energy E = hf discontinuously, and according the wavelength max = b/T, the temperature of a blackbody is inversely proportional to its max wavelength, that is the lower the wavelength the higher its temperature.

there's also bohrs postulates on electron orbits
1. electron orbits remain in a fixed position or orbital without the emission of EM radiation
2. electrons can move up and down these orbits according to the energy differences between these orbits (E =hf --> need a certain frequency of light/threshold frequency to be able to do so).

and Einsteins postulates on the photo electric effect which states that there is a certain threshold frequency which needs to be present in light incident on a surface for that surface to emit an electron form its surface known as the work function, and that the intensity of light increases the amount of electrons that are emitted as long as its above that frequency, also increasing frequency of light will maximise the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons. there's a formula specifically for Einsteins one so u don't need to memorise it

Hudz777

HSC
here are some things i found - i don’t think you are going to encounter a large enough angle in double-slit for the equivalence to be incorrect.

liamkk112

HSC
here are some things i found - i don’t think you are going to encounter a large enough angle in double-slit for the equivalence to be incorrect.
if u get given a diffraction grating the angles become larger, in that case i would manually compute theta using tan and then sub that into dsin = m lambda

Hudz777

HSC
if u get given a diffraction grating the angles become larger, in that case i would manually compute theta using tan and then sub that into dsin = m lambda
mm yeah, that’s probably a good idea

HSC
Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 3.41.57 pm.png
Can someone please explain this, im so confused! its about the diffraction experiment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)