physics textbook... (1 Viewer)

booboo

I reckon that the physics textbooks (as the course is new) have so many mistake!!!! (or they just simply don't agree with one another!!)

I wonder is anyone know if where I can get corrections of the textbook(by their publishers or something??)

maybe, we should all send in messages when you find out something is wrong in the STUPID textbook so we don't learn the wrong thing????:confused:

kaseita

yea they're pretty bad
we certainly didn't get anything for the mistakes in ours! we just...learnt from a variety of sources :p
there wasn't that many though. and since your doing the new course, I woulda figured they would've taken out more content/mistakes than ours had!
what textbook you using?

booboo

Originally posted by kaseita
and since your doing the new course, I woulda figured they would've taken out more content/mistakes than ours had!
What do you mean by the above????
:confused:

I have access to spotlight, jacaranda, macmillan, context2(the smaller one) and Excel. which one do you think is the best....and contain the least mistake..... as i sometimes get very confused and don't know to believe which......
:argue:

kaseita

well, our textbooks followed the old syllabus, which had much more content than the new syllabus.
so you'd figure that when they make the new textbooks to fit the new syllabus, they'd be taking out all the unnecessary content, as well as the mistakes connected to that content.
you'd still have the mistakes from the remaining content though, if they hadn't adjusted it, or realised the mistakes.

wow, that's quite a collection!
well the excel is pretty bad, or was anyway. I figure its still pretty bad. tons of mistakes in it. phys in context has far too much info I believe, so it'd be a practice of being able to sift through the information, to find out what you need to know, and what you don't. haven't looked at the spotlight, so don't know anything about it. heard it was good for the prelim course though.
and I used jacaranda, cause our school used it :p. I find it pretty good, haven't found many mistakes. sometimes its hard to follow what they're saying though, because they don't explain some concepts very well, so you'd want to look at other textbooks that are clearer. I just like the diagrams and colours :)

someone else will have to give their opinion on their textbook.

in terms of figuring out what's right and wrong...well...either use your own judgment (if it conflicts with another concept, then figure out which one is absolutely true and which one isn't) or you'll have to talk to other people (teacher, or students outside your school) and see what they say. or just do a little research on it. you'll find the right answer.
i had a phys tutor, so he just explained the concepts for me. much easier.

zemaj

Originally posted by booboo

What do you mean by the above????
:confused:

I have access to spotlight, jacaranda, macmillan, context2(the smaller one) and Excel. which one do you think is the best....and contain the least mistake..... as i sometimes get very confused and don't know to believe which......
:argue:
o jacaranda 4 knowledge dot points
o Excel 4 prac dot points

-zemaj

Duckman

i find excell used in conjuction with another text is the best because if u read though both of them their not both wrong in the same areas, well god i hope other wise im screwed

Damn Text Writers :sniper:

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I use Macmillan & Excel in conjunction with each other and they go quite well. I think Macmillan covers more topic areas than Excel, but Excel explains the stuff a bit better.

booboo

Personally, I don't like excel(as it is unclear and doesn't contain much info)...

I don't like context2 either, despite people telling me how good it is...that's why I bought it :mad1:

The "surfing" book looks good although I don't have it. But they don't contain much detail.....

I wonder, how much detail do we need to know?? which book is good in the depth it went into, without going too far??:read:

Last edited:

zemaj

Originally posted by booboo
Personally, I don't like excel(as it is unclear and doesn't contain much info)...

I don't like context2 either, despite people telling me how good it is...that's why I bought it :mad1:

The "surfing" book looks good although I don't have it. But they don't contain much detail.....

I wonder, how much detail do we need to know?? which book is good in the depth it went into, without going too far??:read:
jacaranda IMHO covers all dot points with decent info on the ones that need it without going too far.

-zemaj

kaseita

I just used the surfing books for practice questions, throughout the year. the answers they give in some questions are more detailed than those in the textbooks, so its very useful in that way.
jacaranda still rules though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)