physics vs eco vs legal (1 Viewer)

libestraumno3

HSC
still having that dilemma yes...

please share thoughts and experiences!

for context––subjects im definitely doing are:
3u eng (good at english and think i'll genuinely enj ext)
3u maths (recommended to take ext but most likely drop to 2u in y12; depends on results and how i go––have enough motivation to continue tbh)
mod his (like this subject alot - want to do hext
chinese beg ('break' subject - doing it via nsl = more study periods. motivated to study for it)

additional info:

physics
  • scales high
  • not much of a stem person (always been a humanities person) but received full marks on my physics assessments/exams (surprisingly enough)
  • willing to study hard for it
  • gives diversity in my subject choices
  • interested at a basic level?
    • full workload considering exts
eco
  • scales high-ish
  • moderately interested in it
  • relates to a lot of world scenarios// i would finally understand the daily reports they say on the radio lol
  • may take it in the future for higher education, e.g law/eco or law/commerce
    • time consuming
    • already have essay heavy subjects (eng adv/ext, mod his (with plans to do hext)
    • essentially maths with WORDS
legal
  • relates to potential future career ^law
  • apparently easy to band 6
  • interested in it
    • scales lower than the others
    • more essay/memorisation workload
    • syllabus is a bit boring???

Last edited:

fuzi

HSC
Based on your reasons it seems like econ is the way to go! While it is tempting to pick physics cause of the scaling, keep in mind that if you enjoy it, you're probably gonna perform better in it and therefore it'll do more for your HSC and ATAR. It is pretty time consuming, and it there is also a lot of content, but honestly in my experience having it with other essay heavy subjects definitely helps cause you get more practice with writing that way. I also did physics along with econ in year 11, and I definitely enjoyed economics way more and I am probably going to study it in uni. It does give you a new perspective on the world and yes you do finally understand what they say on the radio reports, as well as ABC Landline but as important as it is, the export price of barley will still be boring to you.

Another thing that people might say about econ is that it's all about money. Okay, while you will study financial and forex markets, it's not all about money, and if taught right the course can really change the way you think about what money is. On top of that, you'll actually learn a lot about how economics impacts real people, human development and the environment.

Best of luck!

libestraumno3

HSC
Based on your reasons it seems like econ is the way to go! While it is tempting to pick physics cause of the scaling, keep in mind that if you enjoy it, you're probably gonna perform better in it and therefore it'll do more for your HSC and ATAR. It is pretty time consuming, and it there is also a lot of content, but honestly in my experience having it with other essay heavy subjects definitely helps cause you get more practice with writing that way. I also did physics along with econ in year 11, and I definitely enjoyed economics way more and I am probably going to study it in uni. It does give you a new perspective on the world and yes you do finally understand what they say on the radio reports, as well as ABC Landline but as important as it is, the export price of barley will still be boring to you.

Another thing that people might say about econ is that it's all about money. Okay, while you will study financial and forex markets, it's not all about money, and if taught right the course can really change the way you think about what money is. On top of that, you'll actually learn a lot about how economics impacts real people, human development and the environment.

Best of luck!
thank you for your insight! its now moreso between physics and eco. its just that i dont have a strong preference of one over the other which makes it so difficult for me

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
I can ensure you that Legal Studies is not that boring (A lot of memorization though). That being said, anything you don't think you can excel in or are not interested in is worthless. Do you wanna do Physics or Econ or Legal? I didn't do Econ in high school but my second year in uni is where Econ really start to become math.

libestraumno3

HSC
I can ensure you that Legal Studies is not that boring (A lot of memorization though). That being said, anything you don't think you can excel in or are not interested in is worthless. Do you wanna do Physics or Econ or Legal? I didn't do Econ in high school but my second year in uni is where Econ really start to become math.
i want to do all of them... i just cant pick. i have high competency in these subjects whether its for, enjoyment, interest or academics they're all subjects i'd still do. i just want to make sure im picking the right 'combination' in terms of time management and motivation to maximise my atar

btw do you think the workload of legal or eco, modern and a language is doable? i was already a bit iffy about doing 3 humanities based

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
i want to do all of them... i just cant pick. i have high competency in these subjects whether its for, enjoyment, interest or academics they're all subjects i'd still do. i just want to make sure im picking the right 'combination' in terms of time management and motivation to maximise my atar

btw do you think the workload of legal or eco, modern and a language is doable? i was already a bit iffy about doing 3 humanities based
It may prove to be difficult in terms of the amount of content you need to know (stats etc) and the amount of essays you'd need to write

In terms of 'maximizing your atar', generally speaking, the sceince subjects (ie phys) is the way to go. Personally, I would chose eco over phys but that is my opinion

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad

I think if you are good in all of them then it should be okay, as long as you're managing your time efficiently. Be aware of not getting burnt out

cyniczny

HSC

i do legal, 2 languages and 4u eng and the workload isn't too bad, i'd say legal is the heaviest. definitely manageable if you're good at writing lots of practice essays + memorise things relatively quickly

d1zzyohs

HSC
Hey man,
I do 4U Maths, PHYS, Music 1 (4 Performances), English Advanced;
Legal studies is, realistically, boring. So is Economics. Economics is very based on your ability to understand and grasp current world news as well (as far as I understand the syllabus); so this may add on to your workload.

Physics, beyond year 11 into year 12 - actually has a lot of 'humanities' concepts. We need to usually write a few long responses - there are 2 depth studies which allow you to go deep into any topic of your choice; and you learn a lot about history. I would also urge you to do 3U maths, as it really isn't too hard and extends your education abilities to university.

I understand that right now, Law is your dream - but the realistic thing is, that many students who want to do Law either completely change their mind by year 12; or they drop out in year 1 uni. Not because it's hard - but the reality of law, is... boring.
By all means - if you truly believe you will become a lawyer; or law-adjacent worker, then do legal studies; but, I thank god every day for only doing one essay subject. I have finished my english adv. trials, and it's cruising from here on out.

(I also did 3U English in year 11 - and did one term of 14 units. 3U English was a bore, and Eng. Adv is my best subject (~96-97 internal atm). It really depends on your teacher though; but honestly, the syllabus was terrible for year 11. I've heard some better news in Year 12 3U - but the class in my school shrank from like 10 to 3).

Good Luck!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)