Physics (1 Viewer)

rabsta89

HSC
Now that year 11s finished and im moving on to yr 12 im confused about keeping physics.
Im currently averaging marks in the 60s. Can anyone tell me if thats a bad sign and means that i am going to get lower marks in year 12
how can i improve?
and also is most of the stuff learnt in year 11 part of the year 12 course?

tennille

HSC
Not necessarily. I found that the year 11 course was more mathematically based. Year 12 consists of a lot of theory, explanations, etc. I was averaging around 60-70 myself in year 11, but my marks significantly improved in year 12. It all depends on how determined you are to do well. If you are having trouble with understanding some of the concepts in the course, ask you teacher, or in the worst case scenario, you could always get a tutor. I also suggest buying a textbook to study from. Surprisingly, Excel HSC physics is excellent and pretty much answers all the syllabus points, including the secondary source points- and that's really important. If you know your syllabus points, you'll be fine. :)

Not everything in the year 11 course is examinable in the year 12 course. Things like Newton's Laws, the wave equations (if you are doing medical physics or even astrophysics), etc are things you should know, however.

redom

HSC
rabsta89
"Now that year 11s finished and im moving on to yr 12 im confused about keeping physics.
Im currently averaging marks in the 60s. Can anyone tell me if thats a bad sign and means that i am going to get lower marks in year 12
how can i improve?
and also is most of the stuff learnt in year 11 part of the year 12 course?"

60's isnt all that bad and can easily be improved!....im in your situation now....(yr 11 to yr 12 thing) and like a month before my yearlies i suked!!....then i studied a fair bit and ended up with 95+....it is all seriously about how determined u are!....+ if u do keep it, id kinda recommend looking over your yr 11 work, possibly doing the syllabus dot points...from what ive done of yr 12 so far (space topic) its basically an extension...thats more intersting and wacky:S of the yr 11 course.

rabsta89

HSC
yea i guess it all comes down to determination. Ill be revisin for the rest of the holidays lol and that still probably wont be enough.
and yea i hope the courses in year 12 are exciting cause some of the year 11 topics got a bit boring lol

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Tennille said:
I found that the year 11 course was more mathematically based. Year 12 consists of a lot of theory, explanations, etc.
What? Aww....Yr 12 Physics sounds boring. :(

There's barely any problem solving in Yr 11 as it is.

dr.denk

HSC
Year 11 physics is just the backbone of year 12 physics.

Getting 60% in physics is quite an achivement as it is one of the most hardest subjects.

But looking at the year 12 syllabus i think its going to ve a tad harder lol.

And dont bother revising the year 11 work because if it comes again your teacher SHOULD re-explain it to you:D:D:D:D:D

I was actually 4th out of 63 kids before my yearly exam. I dont know now, cause we didnt get our marks back and i remember writing poems in the test because i didnt know like 3 pages lol.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
rabsta89, how are the others doing at your school? About where are you ranked?

And gee, year 12 physics sounds so boring with all its "impact on environment and society" crap :rolleyes:

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
airie said:
rAnd gee, year 12 physics sounds so boring with all its "impact on environment and society" crap :rolleyes:
OMG! What is wrong with the people who wrote the Physics syllabus.

Physics was my favourite subject, now I can see that it'll be an aboslute nightmare in Yr12. :(

dr.denk

HSC
Hmmm, I chose physics for the sole purpose of learning about SPACE, Relativity and quatam physics.

That other stuff is soooo, hmmm, gai:D

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
dr.denk said:
Hmmm, I chose physics for the sole purpose of learning about SPACE, Relativity and quatam physics.
Me too :D Astrophysics would've topped it all for me, but my teacher's a spoilsport and would teach us Med instead, even though he said he's got a degree in Astro :mad1:

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
OMG Our Physics class wnats to do Medical Physics, BUT our teacher has chsen to tecah us From Quanta to Quarks instead... Let's switch teachers =]

Riviet

HSC
N/A
~shinigami~ said:
What? Aww....Yr 12 Physics sounds boring. :(

There's barely any problem solving in Yr 11 as it is.
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. There's only a few formulae in each core module of the HSC course. If only it were like the old syllabus (much more maths involved)... :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)