Physiotherapy- subject selection (1 Viewer)

JasonHili

HSC
hey guys,

im interested in becoming a physiotherapist one day and im currently selecting subjects for year 11, im interested in extension maths and english, biology, chemisty, physics, economics and PDHPE.

i know if u add all this up its about 16 units but they all have significance to what i will do i the future and i need help in deciding which subject to drop.

ive had thoughts on dropping bio for PDHPE or vice versa, and economics is mainly in there so that if for some reason i decide to follow another path it may come in handy.

p.s i generally enjoy all sciences and do quite well in them including year 10 sports science, commerce, english and maths.

HSC
N/A
bit late sorry but there you don't really need to do any sciences for the hsc in the physio course there is very little chem or physics but a lot of bio which you dont have to have done because its just learnable

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
assumed knowledge is a very loosely used term. it can either mean, you know the very basics (yr 7-10 stuff) or you have extensive knowledge. you should definitely call up the university and ask them to define how much you need to know.
i doubt physiotherapy is that different to medicine.

sure, you need maths, but do u need the highest level? the basics will do just fine for working out problems. same with physics. your not going to be doing intense calculations on load, mechanical advantage, pulley/lever systems and apply them to the human body. its more about the clinical aspect, how people get injuries, how to treat them, how to prevent them etc. its more anatomy/physiology than anything.

HSC
N/A
yep FOB is correct the course is mostly anatomy and physiology heaps of anatomy like pretty much a whole year on the muscles, bones, tendons, ligaments, nerves, blood supply, radiography etc in first year thats all in one unit, then theres a unit on cardio, renal, pulmonary sys, then a whole unit on neuroscience and sociology and research and biomechanics all in first year. Its in 2nd, 3rd and 4th that it goes into PBL and injury treatment etc so in actual fact there is very littly chem but alot of bio for histology based subs and logic and memorisation for anatomy. The assumed knowledge is not really accurate you can learn the stuff as the teach you.

GL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)