Picking Subjects for Dummies? (1 Viewer)

anone.playm8

HSC
Hi there,

I am totally lost on how to pick my subjects/units of study at USyd. Just for reference, I'll be doing Commerce/Law, but any general guidance would also be greatly appreciated.

1. I have no idea how many subjects I'm supposed to pick, or am I supposed to just pick majors for each degree?

2. How many majors can I pick for each degree?

3. Are compulsory subjects automatically picked?

4. How do electives work?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Commerce/Law first year is pretty much already picked out for you.

First semester:
Accounting 1A
Microeconomics
Econometrics
First year law subject

Second semester:
Accounting 1B
Macroeconomics
First year law subject
Information systems

EDIT: Law doesn't have a major, and Commerce you must do one major. You'd be hard pressed to fit enough subjects in to do two.

Last edited:

spence

HSC
Hi there,

I am totally lost on how to pick my subjects/units of study at USyd. Just for reference, I'll be doing Commerce/Law, but any general guidance would also be greatly appreciated.

1. I have no idea how many subjects I'm supposed to pick, or am I supposed to just pick majors for each degree?

2. How many majors can I pick for each degree?

3. Are compulsory subjects automatically picked?

4. How do electives work?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
I'm pretty sure you can only do one major in commerce, and you don't do a major in law.
Electives are just random subjects you pick that don't count towards core units or majors. You probably don't get many (or any) in com/law though

anone.playm8

HSC
Thanks for the replies and help guys!

Commerce/Law first year is pretty much already picked out for you.
Does that mean when I go to enrolment day my subjects will already be picked out for me?

Electives are just random subjects you pick that don't count towards core units or majors. You probably don't get many (or any) in com/law though
So does that mean I have no chance of taking electives?
The truth is, I wanted to do some form of Japanese studies. At first, I thought I could do it as my second major in Commerce - shut down. So electives are out of the question too?

Thanks!

spence

HSC
To be awarded the Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws, students must successfully complete a total of 240 credit points (96 credit points from the Faculty of Economics and Business and 144 credit points from the Faculty of Law)
So no subjects outside of those faculties

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Does that mean when I go to enrolment day my subjects will already be picked out for me?
Pretty much. They'll tell you what you have to do and get you to sign off on it.
So does that mean I have no chance of taking electives?
The truth is, I wanted to do some form of Japanese studies. At first, I thought I could do it as my second major in Commerce - shut down. So electives are out of the question too?
Have a read of the Economics & Business handbook should give you details on what electives you're allowed to take in a Combined Law degree.

EDIT: Post above mine appears to have it right.

KarmaKitten

HSC
To satisfy the requirements of the Bachelor of Commerce, students must complete the seven Commerce core units of study and a Commerce major or extended major. Instead of choosing additional elective units of study or majors they complete a specified sequence of compulsory Law units of study

Thats from the link I posted earlier. So I am assuming that you wouldnt have any room for any other electives? If thats the case, that blows!

anone.playm8

HSC
Pretty much. They'll tell you what you have to do and get you to sign off on it.
I guess that makes it easier to do...

Thats from the link I posted earlier. So I am assuming that you wouldnt have any room for any other electives? If thats the case, that blows!
Aww, dang. Well, thanks VERY much for your help guys, at least now I understand what to do and what's required, even if it is bad news. I might have to do a Diploma or something :(

Thanks a lot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)